Solved! Nvidia gtx 480 sli or ati 5870 xfire (mobile gpu)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

reaversedge

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Well i have 2 laptops choices to buy with almost the same price and specs but differs in video cards, one is with nvidia gtx 480 sli and the other one ati 5870 in crossfire. I have seen reviews that gtx 480 sli performs better but has high temps compared to ati, and they said the difference is marginal, i need help for opinions for the two cards and my general goal is to see who performs better.

Also i notice that some guys tend to say that 460 sli is better than 480 sli, is it true?

Solution
Between SLI GTX 460 and 5870 CF,I would go with the first option because in some games,they beat 2 5870s;furthermore,they run cooler and quieter and as a result you'll have more battery life.

reaversedge

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Maziar, i found some benchies for xf and sli, does dual gpu configuration has advantage on most game? like the reviews i saw here in tom's hardware, but there is also some rumors about microstutters, so does those fps stated in some benches the game is smooth and solid throughout the test? they dont experience microstuttering at all?

reaversedge

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
That's strange, in TH reviews of comparison of sli and cf compared to their single card counterpart the fps is always higher like a bar graph presentation (forgot the link but i saw it somewhere) i had to pull the trigger in this one soon. This is my laptop verdict

1x Sager NP7280 Custom Laptop (Built on the Clevo X7200)

- Display: 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080)-
- Dead Pixel Warranty: Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-950 (3.06-3.33GHz) 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8 GT/sec QPI, LGA 1366
- Thermal Compound: - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- Graphics Video Card: SLi ENABLED DUAL (2) 2048MB PCI-Express nVIDIA GTX 480M's (4096MB Total) w/GDDR5 DX11 Video Cards (User Upgradeable)
- External Display Video Adapters: No Video Adapter
- Ram: ~ 6,144MB DDR3 1066MHz Memory (3 SODIMMS)
- Exterior Finish: Standard Finish
- Optical Drive: ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- Primary Hard Drive: ~ 500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid (Serial-ATA II 300 - 32MB Cache)
- Second Hard Drive: None Standard -
- Third Hard Drive: None Standard -
- Raid: HDD Raid Settings - OFF
- External Hard Drive (Back Up): No Back Up Hard Drive
- Back Up Software: No Back Up Software
- Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
- Memory Card Reader: Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS)
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth + EDR
- Wireless Network: Intel® Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
- Wireless Network Accessories: No Network Accessory
- Camera: Integrated Digital Video Camera
- TV Tuner: No TV Tuner
- Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Case: Basic Black Business Case - Included
- Battery: Primary Smart Li-ION Battery Pack - Included
- Spare AC Adapter: None Standard*
- Port Replicator / Dock / Adapters: No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Fingerprint Reader: Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- Mouse / Keyboard Accessories: No External Keyboard or Mouse

Please leave comments on my configuration, i concentrated on upgrading the gpu since i only use it when i travel and game, i dont mind the weight and battery life since i go from place to place like a city. The only major problem now is the heat, i have a good notebook cooler here at home and applied thermal compounds on gpu and cpu, i dont know if there is anything more i could do to reduce the heat produced by this laptop.

reaversedge

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
thanks Maziar, im sorry to go a little bit out of topic, now im looking for the best laptop cooling fan there is.

I dont care about the noise, power, weight, price, looks of the cooler, as long as its fitting a 17" laptop and the with a good (hopefully best, i think) cooling solution it can offer so far up to this date.

reaversedge

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I did some additional research on x7200 actually its not the heating that is the major problem of the first owners to have x7200, it is indeed i saw one of the forums one owner has a defective (or limited) psu, he was running some benchies and it tripped. somehow the bench stressed both gpu and cpu totally. The psu rating is only 300w (and with a fail safe to 340w i think) and granted the laptop is the best, provided that it should have a better or higher psu limit so it can be pushed harder with i7 extreme processors and the highly demanding 2 480s. So i inquired xoticpc if they can include a psu with a higher rating. This laptop will be bought mostly like enthusiasts like me and loves to OC alot and push their rig to its limits. Some resellers were taking up the psu issue with Clevo and hopefully there will be action.