NVidia GTX 860m 2GB Randomly crashing and restarting (Green and red boxes on screen before crash)

DeltaStrike

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
I have an ASUS G750jm (windows 8. 1 64 bit)
Specs:
Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4Ghz (Turbo 3.4 GHz)
12 GB DDR3
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
17.3-inch screen
NVidia GeForce GTX 860M 2GB

Crashes when:

I play semi GPU intensive games.
Sometimes randomly.

I've tried, uninstalling it (from device manager) and reinstalling, updating the driver , downgrading it to a driver from 2014, and restarting my computer, yet nothing has worked.

DeltaStrike

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
When I play, its almost guaranteed to crash after 20 minutes to an hour, there have been a few occasions where it doesn't crash for a few hours playing something.

Sometimes it leads to a BSOD, that reads: "HPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION"

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Have you checked the temperatures of your GPU / CPU?
It is normal for a laptop / desktop PC to shutdown to prevent damage on the CPU or GPU when it gets overheated, and since you mention that it only happens when you play, it looks like it is the heat causing those restarts.
Try to check your temperatures for CPU and GPU, when running a game and reply back with the results.

DeltaStrike

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
It crashed instantly this time, but my GPU was at 43C when it crashed, and usually when it runs, it runs between 40C and 60C

everything works fine when I switch to intel HD Graphcis 4600, just awful framerate

Just tried going into NVidia control panel, it says "NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU", not sure if its related but trying to supply as much information as i have

DeltaStrike

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
28c91cc430044182ccdf19adc62d5caa.png

Thats what my screen looks like right before it crashes (cant screenshot when everthings frozen, so i had to find it online, except the boxes are typically green, purple, and red

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Do you get the same BSOD everytime it crashes? Does any kind of 'artifacts' occur when you play?
Artifacts is red, blue green dots, or lines, basically graphical issues when you play. Search on google if you dont know what it is.
Try to uninstall nvidia and install the driver that you can install through Asus download page.

DeltaStrike

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
I get the BSOD about 50% of the time, but when I get it, its always the same message.
I don't get any artifacts when I play until it crashes, I'll try installing now, I'll update this when i'm done

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Is it a new laptop? If so, RMA it.
Seems to me that your graphics card might be damaged.
By the looks of it, it may have gotten overheated at some point, and that's why it's showing these graphical errors, meaning your GPU is damaged.
If you know how to open up your laptop, try to locate the GPU and see if it has any physical damage on it.

TRENDING THREADS