nvidia video card driver problems

Oct 13, 2014
hi guys,

i have this problem which ive been struggling with for weeks now.
i will start from the beginning to give you as much information as i can.
i have a sony vaio VGN-AR61ZU laptop.
one day when i turned on my laptop i got these white stripes across my screen.
i tried to fix it but with no succes, after a few months i tried again with succes.
i tried a method which involved a hair dryer.
i needed to turn on my hair dryer and aim directly at my video card for about 10 minutes, when i was done i reassembled my laptop and everything worked fine again!
i installed windows 8.1 on my laptop and tried to play some videogames.
but no game was playable on my laptop not even the smallest games on the lowest graphics level.
my video card is a NVIDIA geforce 8600m Gt so normally i would be able to play games with it.
i did some searching on the internet and tried to download the latest drivers from the NVIDIA website but everytime i tried to install them i get an error saying it couldent install because no correct hardware was found on my laptop.
i uninstalled windows 8.1 and installed windows 7 64 bit, under device manager- display adapter my laptop doesnt list my NVIDIA card but standard VGA graphics adapter.
i tried going i to safe mode and uninstalling the VGA then i tried starting windows normally to install the drivers manually, but windows keeps installing the VGA on startup automatically.
i have no idea what i can do now your guys are my last hope please someone help me.
if you need any more information please just react to my question.

p.s sorry for maybe some bad english i am from holland
thanx in adavance guys!

update:
what i forgot to mention was under the VGA adapter proporties it sometimes says NVIDA 8mb or something.
this was some days ago i havent seen it since

Solution
It must be such issue of the GPU itself that it doesn't work anymore. The more unfortunate is that your GPU is integrated with the Motherboard which makes it impossible to upgrade/replace it.
I still don't know if there are external GPU that can be plugged in by some sort of plugs ( Like USB maybe ? ) But in the mean time you just have to use another pc to game. Laptop isn't a good option too :/ You may take it to someone professional to test the GPU.

Also , post GPU-Z tests results... :D

Akram Sidena

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2013
Hmmm, what happened to your Nvidia card before you dried it up ? did it become wet ? I believe every hardware that touches water , gets corrupted.

You , in a hand, say that your laptop tells 'VGA Standard', in the other hand you say it says NVIDIA... well post your VGA detection result ( DxDiag or Card Options window or whateve )

Oct 13, 2014

it didn't get wet or anything the screen just showed some stripes so i heated up the video card using a hair dryer, i dont know how but it worked again afterwards.
and it just says VGA now, with windows 8 under properties of the video card you could see standard VGA but below it it said NVIDIA 8 mb or something but now i am running on windows 7 and it doenst show anymore.
how do i post the VGA detection result?
i know something of computers but sadly not everything.
thanks for your reply!

Oct 13, 2014

everything worked fine and he always showed the NVIDIA card but all of the sudden the laptop began showing white stripes across the screen.
a few months later i tried heating up the card with a hair dryer and after that the stripes were gone and everything worked fine.
there was no windows on it anymore so i installed windows 8.1 at first, i downgraded to windows 7 because of the video card issue.
i tried installing the latest NVIDIA drivers multiple times but i keep getting an error that there is no supported hardware found on my laptop to be compatible with the drivers.
the NVIDIA card is solded in my motherboard so replacement isn't an option and there are no unplugged wires or something because its solded in.
soo i really have no idea what to do now i gave up on searching and now i am here talking with you:p

Akram Sidena

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2013
It must be such issue of the GPU itself that it doesn't work anymore. The more unfortunate is that your GPU is integrated with the Motherboard which makes it impossible to upgrade/replace it.
I still don't know if there are external GPU that can be plugged in by some sort of plugs ( Like USB maybe ? ) But in the mean time you just have to use another pc to game. Laptop isn't a good option too :/ You may take it to someone professional to test the GPU.

Also , post GPU-Z tests results... :D

Solution