NY Brings Back Lawsuit Over Amazon Sales Taxes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrade58

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
The public is a fickle beast. We demand lots of public services..., and yet we don't want to pay for them. To the gentleman who says that the 31% they take out of his paycheck is enough, very little of that goes to your state.
We're basically picking up the tab for policing the entire world, but it's not terribly inappropriate since we use so much of the world's resources compared to our share of the population. If you don't want to pay local taxes, the next time you're house catches fire, go on-line and look for instructions on how to put it out. No local taxes, no local police or fire services!

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
"out-of-state shipments unless they have offices in those states"

Thats all i need. if there are no offices in your state, and no wearhouses... then your not supporting there infustructure why would they have to pay tax? they chose there locations for there respective tax profiles, and they pay tax in the state they are doing buisness, I say apply tax to shipping a small tax of about 25 cence if they want to gain some revanue. theres garanteed to be a UPS office in every state.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]comrade58[/nom]The public is a fickle beast. We demand lots of public services..., and yet we don't want to pay for them. To the gentleman who says that the 31% they take out of his paycheck is enough, very little of that goes to your state. We're basically picking up the tab for policing the entire world, but it's not terribly inappropriate since we use so much of the world's resources compared to our share of the population. If you don't want to pay local taxes, the next time you're house catches fire, go on-line and look for instructions on how to put it out. No local taxes, no local police or fire services![/citation]
No one I know minds paying some taxes for public services. The issue is when a government is wasteful or comes up with all sorts of "extras" in order to have more power.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
You are also paying into your national health care system from that federal tax.......[citation][nom]Kileak[/nom]We have the same thing going on up here in Canada. Ordering stuff from a different province we have to pay the federal tax but not our provincial one unless the company has offices / stores / establishments in our province.I don't think it's unfair to local businesses because I sometimes prefer driving 30 minutes and buying what I want right away than wait 2-5 days to get delivered for pretty much the same amount since, when using online retailers you're of course saving taxes, but you're paying delivery / shipping, which, in another way, creates income for the province by creating jobs for local people which creates local income by the means of more taxes![/citation]

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]JD13[/nom]You are also paying into your national health care system from that federal tax.......[/citation]

Which just got an enormous boost from the tax increase... oh wait.. no it didn't.

jbc63

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Slick Willie aka Bill Clinton , encouraged a lot of American companies & jobs to China, (land of child labor & sweat shops) and all of those American companies get a tax BREAK!!!!

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]jbc63[/nom]Slick Willie aka Bill Clinton , encouraged a lot of American companies & jobs to China, (land of child labor & sweat shops) and all of those American companies get a tax BREAK!!!![/citation]

And every president since Clinton has done absolutely nothing to discourage this practice. What's your point?

G

I dont think the State / Province should benefit from sales @ all. The company that is selling already pays TAx's as do its emploies and the actual buyer.. If the State isnt getting enough $, then the people @ the top need to take a pay cut and learn to work with their state budgets better..

Regards,

South Africa guy

I don't think that they will succeed, but they should. Sales are subject to sales tax in the state where the purchaser will keep / use / consume the item. While the topic of who is responsible for the collection and payment of the taxes (the seller, the purchaser, some omniscient net monitor, or UPS at point of delivery) is extremely difficult to resolve, the fact remains that making a purchase without paying the appropriate sales taxes is a violation of the law on the part of the consumer.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]MeanSquare[/nom]The general concept behind taking sales tax is that the business is using the public infrastructure and should be helping to pay for it. (That's why online businesses with offices in a state are required to collect it.) If there is only online presence in the state then collecting sales tax can't be justified by anything more than "we want it." These online businesses are already paying for the only infrastructure they do use (roads, etc.) by paying the companies they use to deliver the goods.[/citation]
On the other hand, we can split hair and say that those online retailers uses the internet backbone, which we want to governement to be funding into in order to achieve better speed and connect rural communities. And we still need roads for the actual delivery, but I guess the ammount we pay for shipping (and the tax) already covers that.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Trashit[/nom]Feel free to correct me but it does sound like double dipping to me. Ok so online shopping traders dont have to charge their customers GST however that doesn't mean customers get away that easily, there's still the matter of shipping fees. Again sometimes the shipping free is waved if you spend above a certain amount or its bulk billed but eventually that parcel goes through a shipping/delivery company and they very much do pay tax. Whether it be from the employees salary that delivers your parcel to your door step or from the company itself or even the tax from the fuel needed to drive all those delivery trucks. Sooner or later some of your online spent money makes a pass through the tax mans office.[/citation]

That happens regardless of your purchase source. B&M stores that have to collect sales taxes also need to have those items shipped to their stores so really the fuel and shipping costs that go to taxes aren't any different.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
States should not be allowed to collect taxes from customers, unless the shipping warehouse resides in said state. For example New York can't receive taxes from Newegg purchase because there are no warehouses in NY. (which is the case now) However if I live in NJ and get something from Newegg I should be charged tax.

It's like if I bought something from Pennsylvania like cloths which are untaxed and live in NY are they going to charge me taxes at the border? Honestly, if the politicians and people responsible for the distribution of money where not a bunch of F#$*ing morons NY would have plenty of money without these taxes.

If this doesn't fit they should just impose a federal tax of like 1% and then that gets distributed to the state in which the customer resides.... but personally I like the fact that I don't get charged tax with most of the online retailers.

G

New York will not be happy until 100% of our money goes to taxes. If any state should collect taxes on items sold, it should be the state that is selling the items. Maybe this way New York will try to get some businesses in here!

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]orionantares[/nom]That happens regardless of your purchase source. B&M stores that have to collect sales taxes also need to have those items shipped to their stores so really the fuel and shipping costs that go to taxes aren't any different.[/citation]
True, but they alse receive more than one item in their shipments. While you may have 1-2 items delivered at your home, and 2-3 of the same item to a neighbour 3 blocks away, your local Best Buy will receive 100-1000 items. It's not exactly the same fuel efficiency.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
[citation][nom]mtyermom[/nom]The idea of 'no tax for out of state purchase' is not limited to online. If you walk into a store to purchase an item and have the store ship it to your out of state address, guess what, you don't pay tax on the purchase.[/citation]

I do not believe this is legal in any state. Them shipping it to another state is them avoiding the collection and taxation of the product. However, being you are physically there purchasing it they should be collecting taxes. The fact they are shipping it only gives them the documentation they need to make their claim and thus support their act.

Status
Not open for further replies.