NYC Prposes the Dreaded Digital Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Democrats are the worst when it comes to tax and spend. And now we have one of them in office. There are repercussions to who you vote for. I hope that those idiots who voted for obama don't mind shelling out extra tax dollars. I don't want to hear a word of complaint from those turds.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Patterson already passed the "Amazon" tax back in July. I used to order a ton of stuff online from Amazon, Buy.com, and Newegg. I cut back significantly. Newegg has since changed their policy to not collect taxes for deliveries to NY. I've been shopping them almost exclusively since July.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@rocky,

In Canada, virtually every physical purchase does get taxed. Its called GST (and many provinces have their PST as well). The government is mad that they're missing out on the digital content sales.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
After corporate tax, income tax, sales tax, inheritance tax, tolls, tariffs, retirement tax, excises (any tax per amount, gas tax for instance), environmental taxes, consumption tax, capital gains tax, and transfer tax I think we're being taxed e-f'n nuff.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Here's a better idea.

Cut just ONE suit from the popular club upstairs. We have too many of them that do nothing but skim the top anyways.

Very best,

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
So basically it's like a sales tax on content you buy through a service like iTunes or Amazon MP3s? I'm assuming it has some wording to distinguish between buying a digital copy of a movie and downloading Youtube videos to your /tmp folder.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Good point.
But what if I have a subscription to access protected content, like a newspaper's site, or a paper posted by a scientific journal? How would the wording of the proposal distinguish between getting a PDF of an article in Nature that's behind a subscription wall, and downloading music from a subscription service like Napster?

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I wanna know how they are going to enforce this...
If I live in NY and have a netflix subscription.. do my rates automaticly go up?
if I live in another state and buy software from a NY-based company.. do i get taxed on that?

howabout my steam subscription? .. are they going to tax me for downloading updates for a game I already paid for? (or a game I already paid my tax on?).

110% BS

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@Wheels and Kittle

They only tax you when you spend money (i.e. a sales tax), so if you have a subscription, you'll get taxed on that like anything else. If I pay $20/month for a gym membership, I don't pay tax every time I use the gym, just on the $20.

As for enforcement, its up to the companies to collect taxes from their customers at the time of purchase, same as all other sales taxes.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Tax, tax, tax, & yet more tax!
I just hope people stand up to this junk & get rid of this crazy Governor. If they really are serious about closing budget gaps, then why don't they take a pay cut like everyone else that they are trying to pinch?

Status
Not open for further replies.