NYT.com Announces Subscription Model for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Funny, there are plenty of other news outlets on the internet that don't charge fees... As usual, the newspaper industry is out of touch.

G

Really?!? It's out-of-touch to expect people to pay for quality journalism? I think not (and I am NOT a journalist).

Good luck finding free "journalism" of the quality the NYT offers!

It's this kind of "clear thought" that resulted in Scott Brown taking the Senate seat in MA yesterday.

G

when will they ever learn that newspapers as a printable form are a novelty item now.

jackward

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Yes and why not. I read almost all my news on line, and would gladly pay a reasonable fee to favored news sources. The newspapers have to be able to pay those that write and compose the news, printed or on-line. However, I certainly would not pay as much for an on-line subscription as I would for a printed version.

G

The New York Times absolutely needs to charge fees in order to survive. We the readers need to pay fees in order to have quality news coverage. After all, they watch over our politicians. I would rather pay for that oversight, rather than inherently trust the politicians.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The New York Times expects people to pay for "news" they reprint from FaceBook, Twitter, and (as a last resort)the AP? Yes, newspapers are dead. Why pay for one person's written account of an event when you can get thousands of first hand reports for free?

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
A piece that makes this more complicated was we didnt really pay for the newspaper - the advertisers did. Yes we paid a small amount and as that has gone up, people stopped getting the paper. $1/day? is just too much. So something has changed - either ad revenues have dropped or costs have escalated out of control and they want us to pay more for the paper.

I am a big fan of market economics and the internet help level the playing field. If the NYT is producing quality content, we will pay (a fair price). If they are regurgitating others work, then they are ultimately doomed.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
ATTN: Main Stream Media. Pay for Subscriptions online.....L-O-L it's not going to happen buddy, you aren't ever going to see those dominate profit margins you once had ever again. Get used to it.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
It will be the way most internet content is going to be in a few years. I like free, but it's understandable that NYT employees still want to be paid (like I do for my work). Of course you can stretch the advertisement horse, but in grim times like these it's probably nothing to rely on.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Its weird that a site like NYT.com, can't generate enough money from ad revenue to make a healthy profit. According to ScreenFluent, the site generates about 15 million visits a day in unique visitors, and is worth roughly 13 million dollars, since its estimated that it makes about 67 thousand dollars a day. That's not exactly a killing, but seems like a pretty profitable business. I wonder how much extra they think they can gauge from repeat customers with their subscription model... and, somehow I don't really believe any of that money will end up in the journalists hands. But, of course, I'm a cynic.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
If anything, the large viewer base of Fox News proves to us many people simply aren't interested in quality journalism as they once were so it's difficult to ask users to open their wallet for it. Still, this is the direction many papers are going rather than trying to better monetize their traffic.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Fed up with morons[/nom]Really?!? It's out-of-touch to expect people to pay for quality journalism? I think not (and I am NOT a journalist). Good luck finding free "journalism" of the quality the NYT offers!It's this kind of "clear thought" that resulted in Scott Brown taking the Senate seat in MA yesterday.[/citation]
You seriously work for NYT don't you?

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Fed up:
It's very easy finding free journalism "of the quality the NYT offers".

And let's ask the Amiraults about "clear thought".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS