Obama Admin Backing New Six Strikes ISP Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
This should, sadly, surprise no one. In all honesty, I'm surprised that it didn't happen sooner.

I have a feeling I'm going to find myself doing the same things I did ~20 years ago (networking with local individuals for share parties. Then it was music, now, I suppose, it will be everything else.

P.S. I am sad that the federal government is so blatantly beholden to deep pockets. Wouldn't it be nice if things worked more like democracy and less like a plutocracy?

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I wonder how much they contribute to his campaign efforts.

It really is a invasion of privacy. No on should know what you do on the web that you pay for., especially companies that rip you off at every corner.

cryptz

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2004
this actually strikes me as being more loose then current regulations (assuming that you arent being sued during warnings 1-5). not to mention i wonder how tightly tracked this would all be. accumulate 5 warnings, switch isp, or simply change billing info on account

G

Once ISP's start losing subscribers due to this new legislation, they'll probably back off from it.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
This act is supposed to stop the people that well are frankly too stupid to use Usenet. Me and my room mate download things from Usenet all the time. A slow month we will download 2-3 TB sure it Costs us about 15 bux a month+ out internet bill. It also has FULL 256 bit SSL to their servers so our ISP can snoop all they want.... Now for torrents that's EASY just load the torrent and see who your getting it from write down/take a screenshot of that screen and now they have a record of others IP address that are shearing it. As I'm sure 90% of the readers here know that a judge ruled an IP address does not point to a person so really once you get a strike just tell them that you have an unsecured connection and your not responsible i mean come on this is so easy to dodge

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Where was this law 11 years ago when Metallica sued Napster? Oh, that's right...it was election year and our president had his "IDGAF" hat on and George W. Bush was no help.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And this will only help VPN business and the like, resulting in higher parts of the Internet traffic ending up encrypted. With higher encrypted traffic it will also be that much harder for the gov to find what they really want, terrorist warnings and the like. If say 2-3% of the traffic is encrypted today and it will be 50-60% tomorrow, how much harder will it be to find what their looking for. Clever indeed!

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Last time I looked, this administration seemed hell-bent on illegally sharing the US with Mexico, turning a blind eye to the illegal dripping of pockets through the Federal Reserve system, and last but by no means least, illegally sharing/destroying countries they have no right nor interest to be in beyond greed. But hey, don't you dare question them..and don't you dare share that file. We just haaaaaaaave to get our priorities right in this sinking ship of a nation..

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]Watch out, here comes Uncle Sam[/citation]

IMO! Yep, the Uncle Sam they couldn't even find a bloody birth certificate for! This isn't our real Uncle Sam, it's a fraud, bought and paid for by the offshore interests who don't care whether Uncle Sam is left, right of center..all he has to do is fool enough people, enough of the time. Some people put far too much faith in the likes of Obama, and only now, as this ship sails head first into a storm, do they realise the error of their ways..when it's too late to repair the damage.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i wanna SEE them try and stop me. i don't pirate games, and pirating movies makes no sense because i have netflix and anything can be found on the web

but nobody will stop me from pirating music. i support the artist by telling other people how good their music is. what would they do without me?

6kaine9

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Fact is this "ship" has been gaining water since Clinton left office so don't give me any of "this administration" crap. The fact of the matter is the President is a politician and is doing what is politically expedient (since the lobbiests have so much power). The fact of the matter is anybody can download torrents using peerblock, megaupload using routers, or even avoid downloading anything at all by just streaming the content through icefilms, after all, how can they really tell that you are streaming x movie from y company?

Status
Not open for further replies.