Obama Admin Backing New Six Strikes ISP Policy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I am so proud of my ADSL company. (integratelecom.com) Not only are they faster than my cable company they don't do CRAP about what I do with my internet. They don't report my info to anyone (without a court order). Before I had Mediacom cable. I cancelled them after they temporarily disconnected me for downloading "suspicious" items. I told them to piss off and cancelled my 150 a month service and went with integra. If you can in anyway get their service, do it..

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Burodsx[/nom]Yep, I'm definitely voting against this guy in the upcoming election...[/citation]
You think the Republicans are any better? lol As bad as it sounds the Republicans are worse. Almost ALL politicians have been bought up by big money.

Republicans like to convince the public that what's good for big business is good for the rest of us (especially in relation to big banks, Wall St, big oil, big entertainment).

Democrats talk a good game part of the time to keep you happy, then do the wrong thing under the cover of a "compromise" with the Republicans. Every once in a while they will actually do something good, but it can be quite rare.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]And this will only help VPN business and the like, resulting in higher parts of the Internet traffic ending up encrypted. With higher encrypted traffic it will also be that much harder for the gov to find what they really want, terrorist warnings and the like. If say 2-3% of the traffic is encrypted today and it will be 50-60% tomorrow, how much harder will it be to find what their looking for. Clever indeed![/citation]
Governments never listen to law enforcement agencies, because many have already stated this but the government simply ignores the warnings.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]Ok, so I'm going to rape small children in the comfort and privacy of my own home. It's ok though, don't invade my privacy.[/citation]
So you're saying that every single person should have the privacy of their homes violated, whether their innocent or not, to prevent the kind of crimes you mentioned?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]It's funny how many people are complaining. Piracy, you can put it whichever way you like it, in the end it's still theft. If you want content, buy it. If you don't, then don't. If you find it too expensive, don't buy it. You're not meant to have everything in life.If everyone was a pirate we'd have no content at all as there would be no incentive to create it. Content creators have every right to protect themselves, and this system is quite generous considering what it was previously where people get sued for millions of dollars. I'm sorry if you don't agree with this system. It's called a free market economy and it allows us to enjoy many of the "luxuries" other countries don't have. If you don't like, move.[/citation]
No it's not theft, it's a copyright infringement. If I stole a DVD from a store now that would be theft.

G

Does this mean that Microsoft will have throttled connection if they would be using AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Verizon Wireless as ISP for their employees mobile connections?

G

[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]Very interesting.. People who tend to vote for Obama normally want something for nothing... Hes just going to piss off his voters.[/citation]

You just made my morning Sir!

psg1john

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
If i remember right, here the full picture the 6 strikes is voluntary and ISP can choose to follow the guidelines of the six strike rule. Major entertainment companies would have to prove that you downloaded copyrighted material and they send your IP to the ISP and they give you e-mail warnings on the fifth or six time they throttle your inernet, they don't want to kill there user base so they just slow you down... make the entertainment companies happy and ISP happy that they don't lose users and keep there cash flow going.

This is going to be a mess when people using wireless hot spots or a 3d party internet and the fact IP are not a person. What about people downloading using someones business connection and they throttle that person company and he didnt know someone was using his network for downloading that stuff.

I don't know the full detail but this is what they're trying to do I think.

G

Damm that Obama... Bring back the days of Bush the 2nd, with his excellent track record of respecting privacy and individual freedom. As an added bonus, we can also benefit from his sound management of the economy and national debt. At least most of the Repub presidential candidates are very Bush-like.

/epic sarcasm

G

RIAA & MPAA should do a better job of protecting their works. Maybe they shouldn't distribute copies of their upcoming movies to their incompetent members if the potential "Damages" are too great. If they can track and try to sue me for attempting to download a copyrighted work there is no reason they and ISPs can't filter that source so it is not available to me. If I can find torrents of copyrighted works on the internet, the hounds at the RIAA & MPAA haven't done a good enough job protecting their works. Members of the RIAA & MPAA should sue their association for negligence.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
What's the next step after that? ISPs decide which content you can or can't get.

At which point more independent ISPs will form and become popular because they won't adhere to those rules, which in turn will allow them to gather a larger customer base, which will then provide them the funds to better their services, which will then make the market what it should be; a competitive one, which will mean faster speeds, better prices etc.

Might not be so bad after all.

G

Nothing says that RIAA wont sue you for the 1st violation. This is about the ISP punishing you.

It is also about taxpayer dollars paying for what RIAA used to pay for.

This kind of BS is why #AntiSec exists.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
According to various reports, the offending subscriber will receive a warning email or an online alert after the ISP receives a complaint from a copyright holder.

You people flipping out over this must be doing some grand scale pirating. Who here has gotten even one warning from a copyright holder? And you need six warnings just to get bandwidth throttling? If you get caught six times doing something so stupid, you should get your account killed, not just throttled. This has nothing to do with privacy. The ISP isn't monitoring you. Someone else has to file a complaint, so whoever that is, has to have the evidence before going to the ISP.

G

@kinggremlin: +1, this is a thousand times more reasonable than some Bush-era, RIAA-gone-wild, Patriot-Act shenanigans. There are still people in Gitmo for pirating Justin Timberlake CDs on Bush's watch.

G

this is just a way for the companies to legalize throttling. They've been doing it for the past 2 years, and now Verizon and ATT are dropping their unlimited plans. And now theres obama backing for it?

pay more for less. or else.

G

What's more interesting is that the Tom's Hardware hacks don't allow dissenting opinions based on THEIR opinions. Block-a-thon on the comments? More about this on other sites. Are you being spoon-fed? Well?

G

"Damm that Obama... Bring back the days of Bush the 2nd, with his excellent track record of respecting privacy and individual freedom. As an added bonus, we can also benefit from his sound management of the economy and national debt. At least most of the Repub presidential candidates are very Bush-like.

/epic sarcasm"

You realize that Obama is nothing but an amplified Bush right?

If you truly objectively didn't like Bush, you shouldn't like Obama either.

Bush did government bailouts. IIRC, about 80 billion
Obama did government bailouts. Stimulus was 800billion. That's not including everything else.

Bush did a 'surge' in Iraq. Obama did a 'surge' in Afghanistan.

Bush made the patriot act. Obama continued it.

Obama also promised all sorts of stuff, including more transparency in government, closing gitmo, etc. Did not do those things.

This next election will be all about the economy. As far as economic stuff goes, I doubt if many (if at all) of repub. candidates would be repeats of either the last two presidents.

G

Lawyers cost money.

The banks charge you.

Did you get your last house free?

Quarter Pounders still cost money last I checked.

Yet all the musicians, engineers and songwriter's hard work and sacrifice is now suddenly deemed "free" by the public. It's as if all the record stores in the world had their windows broken, looters running wild with the police just watching it all unfold, chasing nobody.

Charming.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I love my country and my ISP. Shaw in Canada has been awesome to me. 25 up, 2.5 down for $30/month, and they never complain when I hit 500GB in a month. In fact, I'm now switching to a promotional offer for 50 up, 3 down for $30/month. :)
I average 300-400GB on uTorrent a month.
How much data I pass through Netflix must be scary too (two roommates and no cable).

The land of the strong and free, Canada. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.