Obama Admin Backing New Six Strikes ISP Policy

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potatolord

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
So, because they realise that they will get £0, they will be better off than if they get £1? I just can't agree with you on this.

This falls down when you record your own music and try to sell it at shows, only to find that it's been pirated ("Nah, I already got it"- even when you only sell at your shows), meaning the £5 CD you could have sold will now go back in the boot of your car after the show. No "media tyrant" in sight, and still no cash.

A single example does not prove your case, especially if people don't go to his shows or buy a tshirt. Then he makes £0. It's also a mistake to assume that pirates and fans are not often one and the same. I dunno how much money he makes from his deal with those evil media tyrants, Valve, but I assume it's not bad. Valve are probably quite keen on protecting their IP, regardless of his philosophy.

For hundreds of bands (and filmmakers and authors), sales of media are part of their living and subsidise petrol for that gig 150 miles away in front of a couple of dozen people that otherwise loses you money. Likewise, making decent animation (for example) is expensive and cinema incomes are small, so you're relying on DVD/ media sales. Piracy has decimated them.

I'm on the side of the artist to produce and distribute their music and to make a living out of it however they see fit. I'm not looking at it as political. I'm not trying to stick it to the media tyrants.

And I don't think the governments or corporations have done a particularly good job of running the banks...

tychoblu

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Virus creaters rejoyce!!!

"We have detected the unauthorized transfer of copyrighted material, send us your parents credit card information or we be forced to report you to the FCC."

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]thetrigger[/nom]Lawyers cost money.
The banks charge you.
Did you get your last house free?
Quarter Pounders still cost money last I checked.
Yet all the musicians, engineers and songwriter's hard work and sacrifice is now suddenly deemed "free" by the public. It's as if all the record stores in the world had their windows broken, looters running wild with the police just watching it all unfold, chasing nobody.

Charming.[/citation]

First the artist doesnt make dick on that album that is setting at that record store. Second It a small percentage of people pirate. (otherwise the RIAA and MPAA wouldnt have money to sue) So it would be like one person stealing one album once a month from that record store. And lastly do you work for the RIAA?

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Why pay for anything when you can download it for free on the torrentweb? When was the last time anyone bought a CD, a Movie?, Gone out to see a movie? or purchased a PC game or a legit copy of Adobe Photoshop?

piracy is rampant and everyone wants things for free.

jacri

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
With this crackdown on piracy, I think people are going to start looking elsewhere for ways to get cheaper music. Providers like iTunes and Amazon.com sell music legally, but consumers want alternatives--they're looking for inexpensive music outside of existing retailers. I think the future lies with companies like ReDigi -- a used digital music marketplace launching this fall. They will allow consumers to sell their unwanted digital music online-- and buy digital music (both used and new) at a massive discount. ReDigi is basically acting like a used record store, giving digital music a resale value--something consumers completely lost when tangible media such as CDs were replaced by digital music. Keep an eye out, ReDigi is a game changer.

G

If i have an IP phone with time warner as well as internet, could i not sue for illegal phone tapping if they have packet sniffers monitoring my traffic? it takes a court order to infinge on my privacy for phone companies and law enforcment but ISP's can do it at will? What happens when buisness consumers with commercial lines start to catch on that those lines are being monitored?

G

Well let us all band together and test this system out. I suggest we all go to our local Starbucks and start downloading torrents thru their net? Is it even possible? Well point is, find a "free" wifi spot and start downloading. Maybe you need to go to a local motel 6 or something.... Point is, a vast amount of people need to use the same company's wifi for dirty deeds and see what comes of it.

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
If i want to illegaly download pr0n, i should do that without the government and isp snooping around and telling me i should not download "Nuns with big guns" illegaly =))

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Did you pay the architect for the last building you went in? Did you pay the plumber last time you took a dump? They both got paid for the work they did. Once. Then they moved on and did other work and got paid for that too.Musicians can get paid by playing live - being paid for the work they actually do. Outside of the copyright industry's intellectual monopoly, nobody else expects to be paid for the rest of their lives for a couple of hours/days/weeks work they did several years or even decades ago.[/citation]

I like what you say there. i would like to be paid everytime someone uses their computer i have fixed (install windows, etc) years ago, i would not have to work at my day job anymore.

Musicians get paid whan they get a record deal, before the CD is made, most os the money from the cd sales belongs to the record companies, so..wtf? artist get their share, record labels are money hungry bastards

Status
Not open for further replies.