Obama Panel Recommends Huge Changes to NSA, Reports Say

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I find it ironic that Obama and the white house want to put snowden in jail and defended what the NSA does for the most part. Now they want to use this as an opportunity to look good, increase public opinion of them and put restrictions on the NSA. Talk about Flip-Flop.

Their recommendations should also stipulate a free pass for snowden, or maybe just a really light punishment instead, like 90 days in jail or something like that.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm a huge proponent of limiting the amount of control that the NSA has and would love to see them be required to have a warrant before collecting data (or even metadata) about someone. That being said, I disagree with a couple of the points:

- The NSA should no longer work to undermine encryption standards.

- The NSA should no longer possess secret methods — commonly known as zero-day exploits— of hacking into software.

While it would be great if everyone stopped trying to hack software/encryption, that is never going to happen. And because other governments are going to do this, the US government probably should as well. That being said, it would probably be better to move this over to the Cyber Command than the NSA. The government shouldn't be doing this against it's own people.

And please note that I do not live in the US and am not a US citizen.

awesomedude911

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I think the internet should be free, the government should stay out of it. I really don't like the government snooping around for 'Terrorist Activity'.

Status
Not open for further replies.