Oculus Rift Delay Is Gift for HTC Vive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the comment. They're not called Touch controllers but the Vive ships with controllers that let you use your hands in VR space. For the base stations it's more accurate to say room scaling rather than room tracking.

okachobi

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
Maybe not "Touch" controllers, but the Vive ships with 2 devices that localize your hands in the virtual space whereas the Oculus ships with 0 localizing controllers. And the base stations combined with their controllers and software do indeed allow you to calibrate your play area- generally the term is called "mapping".

OkinSama

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
FYI, the Vive is also experiencing it's own launch troubles/delays. People's orders have been canceled for no reason, and in all likelihood, the Vive units are going to trickle out at a similarly slow pace, as Oculus so far.

Only the fans are paying attention to these delays.. Most people aren't seeing this stuff, and it doesn't matter to them anyway. It's still been a relatively good launch for Oculus. Thousands of units are out there, and they expect to get back to full shipping speed this week.

Launches are always crazy, when you're an early adopter.. ALWAYS.. I've never experienced a smooth launch in my 31 year life..lol At least us early adopters will work out all the bugs, by the time normal people start buying these things.

okachobi

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

HTC has years of experience sourcing, manufacturing, and shipping electronics product. I don't think their delays are related to sourcing issues. Also, as of this morning you could still get a ship date of May.

Little_Z

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
It's funny to me when people read the headline and then comment without reading the article.

OKINSAMA, I'm looking at you! They specifically mentioned the Vive cancellation issues...

Anyway, I'm worried how this will affect my Vive order. I am in the second wave of shipments, but I'm really starting to doubt that second wave will be "the third week of april" as I was told by the HTC rep I spoke with on the phone. On the other hand, the vive's delays are from errors processing payments, not component shortages, so I probably have nothing to worry about.

I'm just too hyped :-(

spacegazelle

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Perhaps it's a lack of experience and maybe a lack of nerve, but including a traditional thumbstick and gamepad buttons on the Touch controllers seems a mistake. Or rather, it seems like the Touch controllers were an afterthought and part of a more tactile but still seated experience. They'll surely ship a second camera with Touch now the comparisons are out and favouring the Vive, but that doesn't mean the quality of room scale experience will be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.