Offbrand Adapter Issues with Lenovo Y40

Forscythe

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
Hi there, recently my lenovo y40 laptop ceased to receive power from the adapter that it came with. It's about a year and a half old. I'm pretty confident the original adapter was the problem as the outer plastic casing had become rather frayed and when I experimented with wiggling that area around a bit for a brief instant when held in a certain position it all seemed to work properly. So anyway I went to amazon and ordered this adapter which is offbrand but was supposed to work for this model.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZN2XDBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It arrived today, when plugged in and the computer is turned on, the computer does not charge or show as being plugged in but not charging.Its more like it ignores the existence of the adapter at all, apart from an occasional pop up saying the adapter is not supported and must be replaced. The odd bit is that when the computer is off and the adapter is plugged in, it actually charges the battery. So I'm inclined to think it isn't that the adapter itself is fundamentally incompatible with the computer, rather that something is active when the computer runs which prevents the computer from properly using the adapter. This is pure guesswork, I'm really not a knowledgeable guy at all in this area. I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery but that appears to do nothing. I have also attempting updating that from the device manager but it says I'm up to date.

I have removed the battery and adapter and tried holding the power button for thirty seconds after reading that can help, it appears to have done nothing. I tried running with just the adapter and no battery, but it refused to start at all.

If it is possible to make this adapter work (and work well and safely of course) I am naturally in favor of that and not of having to buy a more expensive Lenovo made adapter but I'm out of ideas to try.. Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated, I will warn in advance that any advice in phrased in technical language will pretty much go right over my head, as I said, I'm pretty clueless on the subject of computers.

Solution
The charger cord you got, while it may work with the computer, to run it, may not have the capacity to direct the right amount of power to the device to charge it and run it.

Also, the manufacturer (of the laptop) could have made it so that the computer doesn't actually like working with devices not made by them. Is a sneaky trick in my book, but they do actually do it.

Since it charges when it is off, I am quite sure it is a lack of needed power compared to the OEM cord.

Wish I could give you better news, but you will have to either have to only charge it when it is turned off (if you want to keep that cord) or get a different charger cord.
The charger cord you got, while it may work with the computer, to run it, may not have the capacity to direct the right amount of power to the device to charge it and run it.

Also, the manufacturer (of the laptop) could have made it so that the computer doesn't actually like working with devices not made by them. Is a sneaky trick in my book, but they do actually do it.

Since it charges when it is off, I am quite sure it is a lack of needed power compared to the OEM cord.

Wish I could give you better news, but you will have to either have to only charge it when it is turned off (if you want to keep that cord) or get a different charger cord.

Solution