why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
We're thinking about setting up the people in my office with Office 365 Business to finally upgrade them off of Office 2003 (i sh*t you not). Anyways I was just wondering what kind of experience people have had with it. We could buy straight stand alone copies but frankly I don't want to repeat what happened with 2003 where they just sat on it and kept using to for over a decade. Letting our tech fall that far out of sync with the world was a problem, so fixing even a little part of it like Office is a victory I'll take.

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I liked Office 2003 and hated to "upgrade" myself. Office 2010 is what I like now..
Just when you know something well.. Blammo.. They got to add more bells and whistles.

Does your Company use a server and employees on terminals?
What is it you all use and need the most from Office? Excel, Word. Powerpoint.. etc..
You may want to think of other programs instead of Office all together.
An Online program that can be accessed from anywhere and share the same database kinda thing..

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Mostly its about getting them on a modern version of outlook in terms of what they use day to day. Though frankly I want to close the gaping security hole that the rest of 2003 has. Its local client for office stuff. They do us a terminal server for the database but I do my best to keep that separate from e-mails/internet. We almost lost it to one of those cryptoransom stuff once before so I don't want them doing anything other than the database on it.

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Well, updating 2003 to 365 should not pose any problems..

And if your having probs with people doing things online they should not.. Getting unwanted viruses etc.. A quick dirty fix is blocking social media and any other sites using the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS file

Most are unaware of it and it stops them from loading what ever you add in there..
--
Blocking a website in Windows is as simple as typing the following into the bottom of the hosts file:

127.0.0.1 www.exampledomain.com
--
Just run Notepad as ADMIN and within FILE pulldown (upper left) of notepad browse to the above HOSTS file location..

Set the bottom pulldown (of notepad) to show ALL FILES instead of just those with .TXT extension..
HOSTS will then appear..
Open the file HOSTS (no extension) and block away!