Office Intercom system

Jason1717

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
The office I work at recently changed phone systems to a VOIP phone system and with the new system we lost the ability to use the intercom feature of our old phones, you hit the intercom button on your phone and an extension and then your voice is intercomed to all the speakers we have throughout the office.

We are looking for a solution to this and thought of the idea of using our cellphones as microphones for the intercom system. I have seen that there are some apps that can turn your phone into a microphone but based on reviews they don't seem great.

Is it possible to use a router and connect a receiver, that has all the speakers wired into it, and also connect our cellphones to this network and use as described? Bluetooth seems like it could possibly work but the range makes it pointless, we have a semi large building so need at least a 100 feet range from the router.

A while back, there was a cellular provider that would let users of the same type of phone to talk to themselves like walkie-talkies, wo incurring any additional charge, members had to be in the vicinity of the same tower.

On the flip side, I can't believe your telco provider is not able to provide you with the feature as digital makes yet more services available. They want too much money is that it?

Jason1717

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

Yeah I believe at first they said it could be done for free or it would be pretty inexpensive and then quoted a few thousand when we officially asked them which my boss thought was a little too pricey since we already have speakers and all that in place. I was just wondering if there was a more affordable option or if paying someone to set something like this up is the best option.