''Officer Bubbles'' Suing YouTube, Commenters

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
On an unrelated topic lets have a quick social experiment. One type of troll is the one who reads the headline, half the article, then skips to the bottom of comments without reading. They then post something and expect others to read it and give it consideration.

So my experiment.. See how many people *after* me make some gripe about America when all of the posts *above* me have corrected those who didn't read "Canada".

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]socalboomer[/nom]Ummm - didn't realize Canada had a Bill of Rights. . .[/citation]

Youtube is not headquartered in Canada, pandering to this request is setting a bad precedent on their part. I guess google just didn't want to be involved in the mess and the lawsuit.

As far as the cartoons go, unless those artists were locals from Canada what can they do legally? Request the US to extradite one of its citizens to Canada for posting an online cartoon? That would get laughed out of the courts here.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
This police officer's attitude was not uncommon, unfortunately. The whole reason there was so much police presence during the G8/G20 summit was not just to protect the world leaders. It was to show the citizens of Canada (more importantly, Ontario) that any form of protest, even non-violent methods, will be dealt with speedily and mercilessly. This is why BC citizens are protesting the HST, and Ontario citizens are not: because Ontario citizens know that *any* form of protest (politicians don't bother reading petitions) will be stomped upon. I know there were some, *some*, violent protesters at the summit. But the response by police was *far* more than necessary, overall.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]"Adam Josephs, a constable with Toronto Police Department's 52 Division, "Learn to read please.[/citation]
The location's mentioned once and I was skimming. So I made a mistake. Bite me.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]random_guy417[/nom]While I'm sure the original commenter that said "only in America..." was (incorrectly) referring to the USA, America is rather vague and technically covers 2 entire continents.[/citation]
Technically, it is the internationally-recognized name for citizens of the USA as "Americans." Sure, there are two continents with "America" in the name, but by normal naming convention, the USA's full name is properly shortened to "America," as that is the demonym ('name of the people') word of the country's name. This is the standard for virtually all countries, as you can see by comparing the "common" name with the full official name:

- Russia - Russian Federation
- France - French Republic
- Germany - Federal Republic of Germany
- Australia - Commonwealth of Australia
- Japan - State of Japan
- China - People's Republic of China
- India - Republic of India
- Mexico - United States of Mexico/United Mexican States (Estados Unidos Mexicanos)

The last particularly puts it into perspective: the USA's own NEIGHBOR can be equally called the "United States." However, by demonym, those in the Mexican states are "Mexicans," whereas those in the American states are "Americans." If one wants to just get technical over the term, why should "American" refer to anyone who's of European or African origin in the first place, which make up the vast majority of the population of the two American continents?

G

Hey Shadow! Did you not catch the "G-20" part? Borders are now an illusion.

corrupt_tiki

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, what a shame youtube bowed in and removed them, Fuck you, prick, you deserve it.

You can also get arrested for calling them 'Pigs' in my country.

Free Speech? Fuck that I want my AK-47/M16

corrupt_tiki

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, what a shame youtube bowed in and removed them, Fuck you, prick, you deserve it.

You can also get arrested for calling them 'Pigs' in my country.

Free Speech? Fuck that I want my AK-47/M16

G

all the vids are back on you tube type in officer bubbles.21/10/10

G

You can reach the good officer's division at: 1-416-808-5200
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/d52/

They are very supportive of their own.

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Anon: 1 nazi pig: 0[/citation]Wait, the Nazis are letting black people in now? Hold on...is he just really, really tan?

He could've told her to take a step back, or turn 90 degrees, or even said he'd take them away. I bet if he had asked her to move a few feet back there would've been no incident at all. Does Canadian law not have misdemeanor disturbing the peace or obstruction charges? That seems like the most she could get- certainly not assault.

Then again, we've seen evidence of a cop shooting a tiny dog for barking at him too much, so I'm not surprised.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I fully support the officer's intent to arrest for a provocative act. Blowing bubbles in front of the officer is not something a normal person will do. Try blowing bubbles at a officer's face on a normal day. I bet you that they'll warn you after a few times. Now do that on a G-20 day and cry when you get arrested? The protestor is a moron, simple.

However, suing YouTube won't bring anything in; rather it probably will negatively affect his image. You can't fight the internet.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonforce[/nom]That may be so that they were dropped.But my point is EVERYONE should take responsibility for their actions!Be it a police officer or a civilian, if you were walking down the street and someone was blowing crap in your face what you would do?....HMMMMMMMM[/citation]
I wouldn't misuse the power invested in me by the City and arrest them if I were a police officer.

Just like if I were a soldier in another country, I wouldn't misuse that power by killing a random person because they pissed me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.