Official: Google Announces the Nexus One

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
If I recall correctly, apps are free to move data between flash and micro SD as they please, meaning only the very small .exe its self (which I can't imagine being more that a few KB) would have to sit on the ROM.

for such a detailed list of specs its dissapointing not to see any for a graphics specs. hardware that isn't interested in a graphics are boring and for losers, where as ones that are interested are exiting and for people with lots of freinds!!

I did dig a bit more and found the graphics specs (built into the snapdragon CPU)

High-performance 3D graphics – up to 22M triangles/sec and 133M 3D pixels/sec

by comparison, the one in the droid (and i think in the iphone 3gs) is capable of 14M tris/sec

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
the g1 only has 256mb rom and 192mb ram. don't hear a lot of people complaining about that when it came out.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
The CPU and the 512mb RAM looks really awesome.

The trackball and only 800 pixel wide screen do not. I was really hoping for 854x480.

I can't wait for 1024 pixel wide screens to become available. I don't care that it's only 480 pixels up-down, but I just HATE using mobile sites. I just want to be able to view the desktop version on a mobile device.

....and I thought that the droid already had the snapdragon CPU. Why did so many people think it was an iPhone killer without a wicked fast (for mobile) cpu and lots of ram and a High-res screen?

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Ummm is it me or the "can run multiple applications in the background" feature sticks out as an advertisement of "this thing can run spyware, adware, and tons of background bloatware"

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm torn by the whole thing. Not sure what I expected but I feel let down somehow. It's a droid with a great processor. Sure it has potential to outlast current phones and be valid for more than 2 years but nothing screams "buy me". To call it a superphone seems wrong.

It outmatches the iPhone without a doubt, and I could care less about the amount of apps that turn my phone into a vibrator so it trumps it but still, like the iPhone, nothing really appeals to me over any other smart phone.

Maybe it's the PC guy in me taking hold but I could give a damn about the name on the outside of the phone. Can I make calls? Can I check my mail? I already sync my phone to my Nuvi which is superior for GPS so I'm still good.

My ideal dream phone is one that has a good processor like the Nexus but that can dock to a bigger screen for GPS and movies. Maybe an OLED screen, HD radio and some good games and you've got me. Basically for me the superphone would be my Nuvi, my Zune HD and my Blackberry cramed into one device. Then you'd have a winner in my book.

I don't want something that does a million things okay, I want something that does a few things exceptionally.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]was hoping for att, I don't want the iphone, they should just offer it to all networks.[/citation]

Any network that uses sim cards (sorry Sprint/Nextel) should be able to use the unlocked phone.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
OLED screen sounds awesome. Half of my battery life every day goes to the backlight in the screen. And for those complaining about the 512mb. I've got 60 apps installed on my Droid and it takes up like 35 mb of internal memory, the rest is on the SD card.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Finally my G1 can RIP. Thank you Google/Tmobile/HTC! I can't wait till 3pm.

FYI, if you buy it this phone it comes with FEDEX overnight shipping included in the price.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Soldier37[/nom]The itablet and next gen iPhone will own this scanty attempt. I'm not a apple fanboy but I do love their phones so far.[/citation]
You're not a fanboï, yet you make pretty optimistic assumptions on products that are not even announced? Ah!

Someguyperson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Nice as it is, it's a HTC-built phone running Android. Nothing new there.

Seems like none of you know about the Snapdragon CPU. When this thing comes out, it will be the undisputed fastest phone on the market. The iPhone 3GS runs at 412MHz with essentially the same core. The Snapdragon core used here is clocked at 1GHz. It's the difference between a Pentium II and a Pentium III. I know this isn't a review of Snapdragon, but this gives you an idea of the performance difference.

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3579&cp=5

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Yet another phone with hardware, OS, and network that put the iPhone to shame. Do people really buy the iPhone anymore? I can't think of any reason why.

Status
Not open for further replies.