Official: Sonic the Hedgehog is Coming Back in 2D!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesla1483

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
It says that this game will pick up where Sonic the Hedgehog 2 left off, but isn't that what Sonic 3 (followed by Sonic and Knuckles) did? I would assume that since they're calling it Sonic 4 this would imply it would pick up where Sonic 3 left off, chronologically speaking.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Tesla1483[/nom]It says that this game will pick up where Sonic the Hedgehog 2 left off, but isn't that what Sonic 3 (followed by Sonic and Knuckles) did? I would assume that since they're calling it Sonic 4 this would imply it would pick up where Sonic 3 left off, chronologically speaking.[/citation]
It's actually picking up after Sonic and Knuckles. The linked Gamespot article indicates both Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, but an interview with SEGA's Ken Balough (found here) specifically states it's after Sonic and Knuckles.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Pocketdrummer :

They did, and it kinda sucked. Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Unleashed. Play them. They work, but still the end product is not that good.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I stopped playing Sonic after Sonic 3 & Knuckles (yeah, the combo cartridge), which, IMHO, maxed out the possibilities of the game. Also, the replay possibilities are so numerous I'm not even sure I'm done playing it!

I don't dig the episodic format, though: Sonic games are to be played FAST. Still, kudos for the 3D graphics adaptation: probably the best scroller I've seen yet.

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Actually, Sonic Adventure 2 > all other Sonic games, even though it's 3D. In fact, Mass Effect 2 is the only game I've played that's better than Sonic Adventure 2.

Skid

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I was under the impressions that Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was the direct squeal of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Reason being the opening of the game had Sonic jump off the Tornado that Tails caught Super Sonic on the end of 2, then sonic jumps off transforms into super sonic, runs / glides onto an islands, smashes into Knuckles, losses all his emeralds and the game begins. And Sonic 3 and Knuckles directly links both Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic and Knuckles so this game should follow directly after that.

But I'm just nit picking I'm always happy to see a new Sonic game, I've yet to find one I didn't enjoy, sure some where better then others and I've not played the one on the Sonic the Hedgehog 360 and PS3, but still most have been solid games if you judge them by there own merits rather then compare them to past iterations.

jisamaniac

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Please make it where I can't see sonic's legs move. The whole point of him running super fast is to NOT see his legs move. Bring the 90s back!

Status
Not open for further replies.