Oklahoma's Proposed Violent Video Game Tax Rejected

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
who in the fuck had the idea to impose a violent game tax....the freaking, idiotic politicians....when are they going to stop?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]This attitude towards 'new' music is also quite funny, I asked my grandparents a while back about their views on music (40-50's, big band type music), they thought rock and roll was bad (pretty much anything made after the 50's sucks in their opinion). My parents are on similar lines, 60-80's is their stuff. My personal views are if I like it I'll listen to it.[/citation]
You know, it's kind of weird, even though i was born in the early 90's, i don't really like the music of our generation...very little "music", too much "product". Like the video game industry.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Great news, if this senseless tax passed it would only have been a matter of time before the 1% jumped to a higher number and other states would eventually adopt it too. Now that Oklahoma has rejected Mr. Fourkiller's bill may I suggest the people reject Mr.Fourkiller for his next reelection?

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
"Why [tax] just video games? Why not French fries or rap music or movies?" representative Pat Ownbey is quoted as saying.
Enough said.

This was never about trying to deter the sale of "violent" video games, 1 percent is a drop in the bucket. It's not the kids that would have had to pat it anyway, last time I checked a kid's allowance originates from the parents - which in a roundabout way would have bought it and footed the one percent. This was disguised as purely extra "funding" for the state.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This is pretty stupid. What would follow? A violent movie tax? Violent TV show tax? Violent advertising tax? An MMA tax? A WWE tax? An NFL tax? An NHL tax? Saturday night boxing on HBO tax? Karate lesson tax? News stories about attacks in Iraq and Afghanistan tax? on and on...

People still think and make choices. Some make bad ones. Most do not.

There are bad parents out there, but most don't produce violent members of society. This is independent of violent video games, movies, or other forms of entertainment.

With regard to studies looking into this, there are results on both sides of the fence. It all depends on how you set up your experiments and define your measurements. Because of that, anyone can generally find a correlation with just about anything if they set the experiments up correctly.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I am neither pro -nor anti- violent game; I don't play 'em.
But taxing ONLY games, but not (c)rap music telling you to shoot, kill and otherwise inconvenience your counterparts, and NOT including violent movies seems simply unfair.

And while we are at it, why not tax Spicy Foods, Sexy Clothes and .... oh, the hell with it, let's get rid of the First amendment while we are at it :)

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
if they would make more violent/adult type games that didn't have to be politically correct, i would pay more tax or money for them. sick of kiddie games. Hell even GTA has to be censored so you can buy it @ wall mart. Its a GAME and if it has violence don't let your kids play it.
I didn't let my son play mature games until he was 16. that was my choice. I didn't tell the government or game companies to censor the games, i just didn't let my son play them.
It's called being responsible for your actions.
We do not need a nanny state!

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]sewalk[/nom]The stinking republicans have 2/3 supermajorities in both houses of the the legislature in this state and this democrat is making a laughingstock of himself. We're on the highway to destruction in Oklahoma and this idiot is standing on the accelerator.[/citation]

So you should thank the stinking republicans for shooting down this absurd law. Maybe this law would have passed if the stupid democrats controled the state house.

Stupid democrats control California's legislature. Take a look at that disaster.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I need to say this, I'm 34, and have been playing violent video games since I was a kid, and I have no criminal record what so ever...

My question is, what is the difference between a violent video game, a violent movie, or violent music? Absolutely nothing. If you do violent things, and blame it on a game, or a movie, or whatever, it's because you had violent tendencies before hand, and are just using whatever form of media as a scape goat. I say if they murder someone or do something bad, and blame it on a game, give them the maximum sentence.. Cuz the most violent psychopaths, are the ones who don't admit to there crimes, because they don't care about getting help, or getting better, they just want to hurt people (or animals).. And if you give them a small sentence, they are just gonna go out and do it again.

My opinion anyways..

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]I need to say this, I'm 34, and have been playing violent video games since I was a kid, and I have no criminal record what so ever...My question is, what is the difference between a violent video game, a violent movie, or violent music? Absolutely nothing. If you do violent things, and blame it on a game, or a movie, or whatever, it's because you had violent tendencies before hand, and are just using whatever form of media as a scape goat. I say if they murder someone or do something bad, and blame it on a game, give them the maximum sentence.. Cuz the most violent psychopaths, are the ones who don't admit to there crimes, because they don't care about getting help, or getting better, they just want to hurt people (or animals).. And if you give them a small sentence, they are just gonna go out and do it again. My opinion anyways..[/citation]

its the same thing with the war on trans-fats. Don't make people responsible for their actions, i.e. put down the fork or you will get fat and possibly have health problems and we should not have to pay for your inability to control your eating. No why would do that when we can just create legislation to restrict exposure.
nanny state

maxwebb

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
so the entire basis of the tax is 'i saw it, so i did it'...

i'm glad this didn't pass. that logic leads to a taxation on the news, advertisements, tv in general, sports, etc etc etc...

the funniest part of the article is when the guy calls himself a malicious fat f*** ("first-hand experience")...
Mr. Fourkiller last month claimed that he was inspired to write the bill based on first-hand experience on how video games can lead to obesity and bullying.

Status
Not open for further replies.