Solved! Old dell does not start

abbas5001

Honorable
Jun 10, 2014
I am trying to boot my old Dell dimension that i haven't used in 10 years. Unsurprisingly it does not boot and i get the Blue screen of death.

Screenshot here: https://ibb.co/1Jnt1QG

Any ideas how i can attempt to start up? I have tried booting into safe mode but no luck. Thanks

Solution
There are some old files i need.

I think i need to run chkdsk but don't know how to do this as i can't start windows at all or windows with command prompt. I also don't have my original Windows installation CD.

Remove the drive, install it as a secondary in another system or use an external drive enclosure.

abbas5001

Honorable
Jun 10, 2014
What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to use the machine? Are there old files you wish to recover?
There are some old files i need.

I think i need to run chkdsk but don't know how to do this as i can't start windows at all or windows with command prompt. I also don't have my original Windows installation CD.

I expect your old internal drive is a SATA drive. To access the files on the drive, you'll need to remove it from the machine and connect it to another PC using a USB adapter cable. Given the stop code, it is probable the file system on that drive is messed up. You can try file recovery software on the drive to see what can be recovered. The less you mess with the drive before you run file recovery, the better your chances.