Old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket3

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I have an old Compaq Presario laptop that won't start. I really don't need the computer, but I would like to see what I left on this computer.
What is the best way to get this thing running if only for a short while?

If it hasn't been used for some time, it might work on mains electric power only without a dead battery getting in the way. However, if you're planning to scrap it, it's adviseable to take the hard disk out before doing so. Once you've done that, a cheap converter will enable you to attach it to another computer via USB and take all your files off.

Rocket3

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Thanks, I think there is something wrong with the computer getting power. Think I will try taking the hard disk out. any advice on the best way to do this, and where is the best place to look for the converter you mentioned. the computer was bought around 1998.
Thanks again

Hello Rocket3;
You can get an external HDD enclosure that you can slip the laptop HDD into and then attach it via a USB cable to another computer.
Here is an example: BYTECC BT-280U2-SL IDE 2.5" Silver USB 2.0 External Enclosure about $8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145082

Can you get the actual model number off that old Compaq Presario? Im guessing it has a 2.5" IDE HDD drive inside it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.