Old Projector to New AV Receiver

richaferna

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
Hi All,

I have Proxima x350 projector. Please see link below: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Proxima-UltraLight_X350.htm. To watch videos from Laptop, I use hdmi to dvi cable.

During black friday, I bought Pioneer vsxlx320 receiver from best buy. Please see link below:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-elite-7-2-ch-hi-res-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-compatible-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/5856816.p?skuId=5856816
and have setup 7.1 channel sound system.

Now when I connect projector to receiver thru HDMI to DVI cable, am unable to see video. Tried different hdmi to dvi cable but still unable to see video.

FYI: Tried connecting laptop output to every input in the receiver and thereby selecting option from OSD. Tried connecting to HDMI out where it says "Main" and also tried connecting to "Sub".
Tried by switching off 4k upscaling on the receiver and also tried by selecting option hdmi passthrough. But still video is not displaying.

As of now am connecting hdmi to laptop and using aux cable for audio. I feel sound quality is not that great and I have Firestick. Since unable to see video, it feels like am helpless by having high end receiver system that does not serve the purpose. Its also weird that the receiver does not have component output. It only has 2 HDMI output.

To test, connected HDMI output from receiver to TV and it works fine. Also tried connecting hdmi directly to laptop instead of receiver and that also works fine. Please let me know if there's any workaround to fix this.

Appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,
Richa

Solution
Thank you for the links.
Your projector is 1024 x 768 and if you send it video with higher resolution you get no picture.
You did turn off the 4k scaling in the receiver but you may need to turn of any video processing and set your sources to the above resolution. There may also me a problem because the DVI input on the projector may not be HDCP. That would not affect a direct connection from the laptop but would affect a connection from the receiver.
I think it's time to start saving for a new projector. You should be able to get one under $1k that will be substantially better.
Thank you for the links.
Your projector is 1024 x 768 and if you send it video with higher resolution you get no picture.
You did turn off the 4k scaling in the receiver but you may need to turn of any video processing and set your sources to the above resolution. There may also me a problem because the DVI input on the projector may not be HDCP. That would not affect a direct connection from the laptop but would affect a connection from the receiver.
I think it's time to start saving for a new projector. You should be able to get one under $1k that will be substantially better.

Solution