Question Older laptop upgrade

Mar 1, 2022
I have a Aspire 3 A315-21-62U1, it has a AMD A6-9220 processor and 6 gigs of DDR4 ram. I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on it with a second screen, I'm wondering would it be worth putting in a SSD hard drive or not. Would this make my application run faster? it's only duel core so I'm not sure if I should upgrade to SSD and maybe RAM to 12 gigs or just look for a new machine.

thanks for your time in this problem for me.
Stephen

Reactions: Benjonas9385

mr_random

Great
Feb 28, 2022
I am experienced in linux both debian and red hat and depending on what you want to do might determine if you need to buy another laptop.

well it depends on what you are going to use it for. If you just want it to surf the web then i would have at least 8gb of ram. make sure to use the same sizes and makes and model when possible so you can have dual channel going more efficient.

a ssd hard drive will boost performance and make things faster but it's not a miracle and will not give you the ability to start playing gta 5 on 4k or anything like that.

ddr3 is cheap nowadays well cheaper than ddr4 what kind of ram do you use ?

Mar 1, 2022
I am experienced in linux both debian and red hat and depending on what you want to do might determine if you need to buy another laptop.

well it depends on what you are going to use it for. If you just want it to surf the web then i would have at least 8gb of ram. make sure to use the same sizes and makes and model when possible so you can have dual channel going more efficient.

a ssd hard drive will boost performance and make things faster but it's not a miracle and will not give you the ability to start playing gta 5 on 4k or anything like that.

ddr3 is cheap nowadays well cheaper than ddr4 what kind of ram do you use ?

I am going through a course about running node server. So I run VS Code for my editor, the course video and express servers. The part I'm going now is creating a API on one port and the front end of the site on another port. VS Code seem to be getting slow in the auto complete as other things.

Thanks for all your help
Stephen

mr_random

Great
Feb 28, 2022
yeah you gonna want more ram. how much ram do you have. also that vs code software has minimum requirements i think 4 core cpu is one of them not 100 percent sure

Mar 1, 2022
yeah you gonna want more ram. how much ram do you have. also that vs code software has minimum requirements i think 4 core cpu is one of them not 100 percent sure

Looked it up and VS Code recommends running quad core but will run on duel. I am running 6gig of ram so if it doesn't cost to much I maybe up it to 16 gigs and see how things work. SSD doesn't seem to be to costly as well so I might even try that at same time. Thanks for your help in this for me.

Stephen

mr_random

Great
Feb 28, 2022
Looked it up and VS Code recommends running quad core but will run on duel. I am running 6gig of ram so if it doesn't cost to much I maybe up it to 16 gigs and see how things work. SSD doesn't seem to be to costly as well so I might even try that at same time. Thanks for your help in this for me.

Stephen

save up some money and get you like a ryzen 3 or ryzen 5 laptop or i3 or i5 it will be better than dual core

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Typically, there are three things you can upgrade on a laptop: the RAM memory, the hard drive, and the video/sound cards. This articles describes the general steps you'll need to take to upgrade a laptop, but if you get stuck, you'll want to check with your computer manufacturer's documentation.
No, you can't upgrade the internal GPU or sound device on a typical laptop. The ability to upgrade the GPU depends on whether the laptop uses a MXM port, or not (most do not).

In addition, there are some external options for some systems and devices.