Older laptops play HD H.264 correctly but new one doesn't

B16CXHatch

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I've recently bought a new Compaq Presario CQ50-210US to replace the my old Compaq Presario C551NR after I broke the LCD on it. I had been wanting a new one anyway cause I felt my old one was weak (Celeron 440M, 1.5GB RAM, Intel 945G, Vista Home Basic) and my new one when I was looking at it looked perfect cause it had a decent amount of power for a low budget (Mobile Athlon 64 X2 QL-62, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8200M G, Vista Home Premium).

WELL my problem is while using the Combined Community Codec Pack which I use on every computer of mine that I watch video on and it works perfectly on all of them, my gaming rig, my old rig, my old laptop, my first laptop I had almost 2 years ago, but not my new laptop. While playing HD H.264 files (720p .mkv files to be exact) in any player that runs off the CCCP codecs (Zoom Player, Media Player Classic, Windows Media Player 11), the video lags like crazy getting further and further behind. But on my old laptop the same videos run fine. And even my laptop before that, when it still ran, could play them fine too (and it was a Sempron 2800+, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, XP Home SP2).

The kicker though is that the HD H.264 videos that work in VLC Media Player (a few wouldn't load in it) played perfectly.

Now I had assumed that I screwed something up while I was changing everything on it and installing all my software. I decided to use the recovery partition and start all over again. So after getting it restored and removing all the crapware.... again, I installed the CCCP first thing and then opened various HD H.264 files and STILL it was lagging. I installed VLC again and played one of the same videos and it played perfectly. Problem is, I hate VLC and not all my videos will open in it.

Now how come on this technically faster laptop, video lags like the processor is too weak to decode the video quickly enough with one codec while slower laptops of mine have used the same codec and played the videos perfectly?

Thank you for any help!

B16CXHatch

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Just did some more tests. I installed Vista x64 to see if HP botched the install of Vista x86 or if x64 did better. Got the same results. I then tried XP, couldn't find any drivers and just reinstalled Vista x86.

Well I decided to do another test. Compare it's performance in HD H.264 rendering against an old desktop of mine. This old desktop uses an Athlon XP 2600+, with 1GB of RAM, and a GeForce 6600GT running on Windows XP Home Edition SP2. Well, some of the videos lagged almost as bad as the brand new laptop but some actually managed play correctly for a while before lagging.

So what, is there some kinda flaw in the Athlon X2 QL-62?

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Are you using the same version of that CCCP on everything? Keep in mind, though, that it is a set of. . well, DirectShow filters that enable media types, you still need a proper decoder. VLC plays your files becuase it includes the X264 codec for H.264.

If you have trouble playing a video file, open it with GSpot. Make sure you have the lastest and best drivers for you graphics chipset (enable HW decoding)

What videos won't open in VLC?

Also try ffdshow.

As far as MPEG-2 goes, there's no substitue for a proper DVD decoder (CyberPower PowerDVD 6 is the best general purpose-- if you don't need Blueray). nVidia PureVideo is also very nice, especially if you have an nVidia chipset-- which yo do.

B16CXHatch

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
the CCCP has all those codecs already. It was made to make H.264 video more accessible. But the thing is it's opening them, just the video lags like the processor is too slow to handle the video decoding like the the Athlon XP 2600+ system. Thing is though, even though that Athlon 2600+ system is lagging, it doesn't lag as bad as that new laptop.

I've decided though, I'm gonna fix my old laptop, sell this one and then buy another later on. This new one chews up battery life like it's nothing. Plus my old laptop though it doesn't really have stellar battery life either, it's still better plus I have 2 batteries and 2 chargers for it, and I have Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate on it.

JHAx86

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
I know, old thread, but this is the solution:

It's not related to your cpu power, the problem is in the Matroska splitter. Launch mpc and go to View->Options, once in options dialog go to Internal filters and there, below source filters, enable Matroska. This solves for me the lag when playing HD mkv files. Now, if you are in Vista or 7 and still experience lag, then go to options again and then to Playback->Output and check if Overlay Mixex*, below DirectShow video, is checked, if it is then change to System Default. I recomend system default under Vista/7 because others renderers show strange behaviours like a green line in the bottom when playing in windowed mode under Haali or VMR 7.

B16CXHatch

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Holy balls, responses to this thread ages after I made it. I fixed it.... by selling it. A few months later my parents bought me a new, much more expensive laptop for my birthday. Bigger screen (17" FTW), double the RAM (4GB), much stouter processor (Turion X2 RM-74), more powerful graphics (only slightly but still Radeon HD3200), bigger battery (with considerably longer life), full size keyboard, HDMI, frickin BLU-RAY. Yeah. Needless to say this beast chews up HD video likes it's nothing and then goes and plays Team Fortress 2 like a champ. Plus it's bronze colored and has a little light up HP logo, OOOOHHH and a frickin remote :p

Thanks for the responses and sorry to bump a seriously old thread (geez did I really buy that a year ago? dang).