Older PC VR Ready?

fcp4life

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I've upgraded my RAM to 16GB and recently picked up a MSI GTX 1060 Armor edition (3GB) for $120 and I currently have an I5 2500 (non k) I have been looking and it seems that I can upgrade to an I7 3770K for less than $200 (Motherboard has an LGA 1155 Socket)... is it worth it? would I be able to run VR? it would mainly be for Sim-Racing.

Solution
I run VR games acceptably on my i5 4590 and an RX 470 using a WMR headset. Most games run just fine. I notice some problems with graphically intense games like Fallout VR, but everything else runs great. I also run VR on a 7700HQ and a GTX 1060 6GB, and that runs better. I suffer no issues with that setup. Your weak point here is the i5 2500. A GTX 1060 is fine in most cases for most VR games.

So, I'd agree that you should upgrade the CPU, but the GPU should be ok. You'd be better off with the 6 GB version (when I say the 3 GB version is ok, I mean just ok, it won't be super great, but it will work), but if that is what you have then that is what you have, and there will be plenty for you to enjoy in VR.
Anything below a 1070 really isn't good for VR at all, period. Unless you crank the settings to very very low settings to get that 90FPS in your games.

So if you want to get VR ready, I'd recommend a GTX 1070 Ti and a 3770K if you don't want to switch to a new platform.

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
I run VR games acceptably on my i5 4590 and an RX 470 using a WMR headset. Most games run just fine. I notice some problems with graphically intense games like Fallout VR, but everything else runs great. I also run VR on a 7700HQ and a GTX 1060 6GB, and that runs better. I suffer no issues with that setup. Your weak point here is the i5 2500. A GTX 1060 is fine in most cases for most VR games.

So, I'd agree that you should upgrade the CPU, but the GPU should be ok. You'd be better off with the 6 GB version (when I say the 3 GB version is ok, I mean just ok, it won't be super great, but it will work), but if that is what you have then that is what you have, and there will be plenty for you to enjoy in VR.

Solution