OMG, FYI, LOL, ♥ Are Real Oxford English Words

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]They should add to the dictionary, it has so much meaning like:In a multiplayer game, A player is getting owned but smiles in attempt to hide his embarrassmentIn a text, you send the text with a smiley face, something important here.[/citation]

How about "awesome face"? I wanna see that hit the dictionary :p That thing cracks me up all the damn time. Can't help but giggle like a school girl when I see that thing, lol.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]They are acronyms, but there adding them to the dictionary anyway like they did with RSVP and SWALK, shows you how far stupidity goes up the intelligence bracket if people who are supposed to be standardising the English language start adding acronyms to the foray. will seriously lulz when they add things like roflcoptergoesschwaschwaschwa. think they need to make a new dictionary. cool face can be its logo.[/citation]

I didn't realize the Oxford dictionary folks were the official gatekeepers (or are they the key masters?) of the English language. I must have missed that meeting at the Illuminati Coterie of Reverse Vampires when that was determined. I was under the impression that they were folks who put letter combinations in a book that people could later reference to determine the meaning of said letter combinations. Goodness knows I've had to look up an acronym that I've run into on the internet now and again.

[citation][nom]skykaptain[/nom]Well scuba, radar and laser are all acronyms that are in the dictionary as well.[/citation]

Exactly.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Where do they class a ♥ symbol alphabetically? At the beginning?[/citation]

Yeah, i just lost respect for dictionaries. The heart is a symbol, not a word, and the rest are abbreviations of words. I don't see how either of those things qualify as actual words.

Status
Not open for further replies.