On Stage, Mark Zuckerberg is No Steve Jobs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
He's presenting to a room full of journalists that aren't even sat facing him and are giving equal attention to the laptop screens in front of him. I don't think he gave a below-par speech in that context, and I certainly didn't see the animosity from the journalists that the tone of this article would imply.

I must say that the recent quality of Tom's journalism has been really disappointing me; it is becoming sensationalist and displaying very polarised opinions that don't really seem to match up much with reality... almost to the point of malice.

First I read a ridiculous article about Microsoft planning to use call a VOIP call recording patent for business applications to eavesdrop on peoples calls, and now we have Mark being criticised for not giving a dynamic stage performance at what is essentially a very intimate and short brief on recent developments at Facebook.

When you have journalists asking stupid questions like 'where is the potential revenue for skype' when about 15 minutes earlier they were told by the CEO that they're looking at bringing Skypes paid services to this platform, you really have to wonder if the collective intelligence deficit lies with two highly successful CEOs - or amongst the journalists themselves.

flugelhorn

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Wow. I had no idea so many people strapped on the knee pads for Zuckerberg.

True he is young, but Jobs has always been a charismatic speaker and has only gotten better with age. This is the reason he got the funding to bring apple out of the garage. Zuckerberg is aspergers-like. He just is not that guy. Zuckerberg would be more favorably compared with Wozniac over Jobs. Two VERY different people, but both were necessary for the success of Apple.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
o wow that is painful to listen to.

iv been on stage with about 750 people looking at me and i still gave better presentations, and that was when i was 18.

he needs some public speaking classes especially if facebook is going to go public

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
How tall would a paper be if you folded it 50 times? Screw how high it is, tell me how you managed to fold a piece of paper 50 times! Try it... if you get past 7 folds, you'd disproved Yahoo answers, if you fold it past 15-20 you're probably Jesus.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]How tall would a paper be if you folded it 50 times? Screw how high it is, tell me how you managed to fold a piece of paper 50 times! Try it... if you get past 7 folds, you'd disproved Yahoo answers, if you fold it past 15-20 you're probably Jesus.[/citation]

i can get 8 folds, buy my paper i use is way to thin.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Mark Zuckerberg is still a kid... and besides, he didn't group in the era of NO computers, where the idea of having a calculator the size of a VHS tape was amazing.

I don't think its a big deal in the eyes of people who USE Facebook (I don't)... and if he continues to do speeches and openings, he'll get better with experience... if he chooses to do so.

Steve Jobs, love or hate him - he has 35+ years on Mark Zuckerberg. And a team of pros to put together a presentation. Zuckerberg doesn't seem to have much public speaker personality... but neither did (or does) Bill Gates.

harbu

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I really disagree with this text. Zuckerberg presented the new Facebook features very well and also answered the journalists' questions decently. Is he as good of a presenter as Steve Jobs? Hell no, but that doesn't mean he did a bad job. Furthermore, I don't really see any merit in the statement claiming that the presentation was an imitation of an Apple-presentation. Imho it was just a normal, IT-style presentation.

Disrespectful behavior from journalists? Get out of here! The questions were normally toned questions on business strategies and user features. Good journalists are supposed to be critical and skeptical, regardless of the presenter's charisma.

Anyway, out of Facebook's total users, how many are going to watch this presentation? A fraction of a fraction. In this business user satisfaction is much, much, much more important than giving a compelling presentation to a niche.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]How tall would a paper be if you folded it 50 times? Screw how high it is, tell me how you managed to fold a piece of paper 50 times! Try it... if you get past 7 folds, you'd disproved Yahoo answers, if you fold it past 15-20 you're probably Jesus.[/citation]

The mythbuster guys were able to fold a giant piece of paper 50 something times...

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Give the guy a break, he's a noob at this kind of things. Do you think you would do better than Zuckerberg?
i'm no Zb fan or fb fanatic, i just know it's not easy to take a speech in front of hundreds of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.