Onboard sound half way fried, can I bypass it via USB?

Sylv_

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
So, static went down my headset's cable and fried my onboard mobo sound. I only receive left audio with the right audio vanished. Obviously there is no fixing the sound-- I've tried everything.

This problem is getting annoying! Watching movies late at night wearing a headset is horrendous because, left audio!

If I were to purchase a converter of the USB to 3.5mm jack, will it bypass the onboard mobo audio? By doing so, will the audio signal be USB audio compared to analog?

Thanks everyone.

Solution

https://www.amazon.com/external-Adapter-Windows-Microphone-SD-CM-UAUD/dp/B001MSS6CS
this or something similar is what I mean. this little device is a USB powered sound card with its own codec chip/processor. USB headsets will have something very similar built in to them so that the headset will not need the on board audio. since the very first USB audio devices they have had built in audio (via the USB bus) and work independently of the on board solution
the damaged on board audio device can be disabled as it is no longer needed in any way if this USB or similar is used.
The USB device will replace the onboard codec chip/processor because it will have one built in.

dudio

Admirable
1) So all you have tried to listen to audio is the same headset? First thing would be to try another headset.
2) If you are using the front audio jacks, try the one at the back.

I doubt very much that static went thru your headset and fried part of your motherboard.
Most likely cause is a bad cable or a bad jack.

R_1

Estimable
Herald

https://www.amazon.com/external-Adapter-Windows-Microphone-SD-CM-UAUD/dp/B001MSS6CS
this or something similar is what I mean. this little device is a USB powered sound card with its own codec chip/processor. USB headsets will have something very similar built in to them so that the headset will not need the on board audio. since the very first USB audio devices they have had built in audio (via the USB bus) and work independently of the on board solution
the damaged on board audio device can be disabled as it is no longer needed in any way if this USB or similar is used.
The USB device will replace the onboard codec chip/processor because it will have one built in.

Solution

Sylv_

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

I honestly tried everything.
The headset I'm using now is brand new as of a few days ago, and my problem happened about a month or more ago.

I unplugged my speakers and plugged them into my phone and both sides of audio was just fine. My old headset also worked with both audio sides on my phone. I easily eliminated my speakers and old headset (which is dead now) as the issues. I was plugged into the read audio jack for my speakers (my headset could plug into my speakers and forward the audio, which I only received left) but I switched to every jack possible to test.

The static honest to god went down my cloth headset cable, through my right speaker and into my rear audio jack on the MoBo. What in the actual [watch your language] right.

Sylv_

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

You saved my life. I'll gladly get a cheap in price but not in quality dongle and disable the onboard sound until it's time for a MoBo upgrade. Let's face it, my MoBo is [watch your language]