Online Role-Playing Games May Damage Your Marriage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mowston

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]eiskrystal[/nom]A survey conducted by scientists at Brigham Young University found that the excessive *insert-anything-here* could lead to a decrease of marital satisfaction.[/citation]
*insert-anything-here* Was that a Freudian slip? LOL

lca1443

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Scientist at BYU, I don't consider anyone who believes that a man found some gold tablets from god, read them right before they disappeared and started a religion, based on god's writings on those tablets (in a language only he could read) a scientist.

P.S. Hooray for run on sentences!

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Wow... The best thing I can think to say is: DUH!

I play MMOs myself. My wife does not. But we get along very happily. However, that also means I don't sit there for 50+ hours a week. I get on a few nights a week and enjoy my 'me' time. Ofcorse that also means I'm not playing 'hardcore' anymore... Been there, done that. The kids that live in their mom's basements can keep that crap. Too much time sink for a fantasy.

I've tried to get my wife to play, she has no interest. However she does enjoy watching me from time to time (especially if I'm going through some story-strong portions). But I have my me time, she has her me time. Otherwise we'd drowned each other. Did that in my first marriage. Live and learn.

What can damage your marriage? Anything and everything if the slightest bit of THOUGHT isn't given to it. Give me almost any item/task and I'll give you a way it can easily damage a marriage over time. Drinking Coffee even... If you're spending half your paycheck at joe's-coffee-shop, that type of irresponsible book-keeping over time and stress can easily damage a relationship.

Honestly, this type of a study makes me wounder who's dumber; the people being studied (no) or the idiots that think that it is a worth while topic to study (yup). What? You mean ignoring your partner over long periods of time could result in damage to the relationship? No (crap) Sherlock...

It's just like anything else. Learn to do it responsibly, and in moderation... Or it's your own fault for the consequences. That's just common sense to anyone who has any...

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]lca1443[/nom]Scientist at BYU, I don't consider anyone who believes that a man found some gold tablets from god, read them right before they disappeared and started a religion, based on god's writings on those tablets (in a language only he could read) a scientist.P.S. Hooray for run on sentences![/citation]

Well, congratulations! You are officially a biggot.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]Pfft, I will never marry again.[/citation]
why not?....you just got married to the wrong person and for the wrong reasons.....don't get me wrong, i am married and at times i feel that made a mistake....i don't give up...i keep at it....everyone is so easy to just walk away and get divorced....just think of how many children get hurt in the process.....hey it's your life do what you want :)

G

They should have named it Marriage can damage your Online Role-Playing Games. lmao

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Saying ORPGs are killing marriages is like saying spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat. I play MMORPGs, and have a perfectly happy marriage to someone who refuses to play any video game that isn't for Kinect. The key is realizing that playing games is just like doing any other activity that excludes your spouse. It's not the game that's at fault, it's the player. Stop neglecting your spouse! Players with problems are drawn to the MMORPG genre... the genre doesn't create the problems!

If you can play games WITH your spouse, then more power to you! It then becomes like any other activity that you do with your spouse, and counts as time spent with them instead of time spent away from them.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Newsflash everyone.
There are peanuts in peanut butter.

A new study by 13 chimpanzees has shown peanuts being used in peanut butter.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
It is best if your partner shares your interests. But this is true for any type of pursuit, whether it be WoW, rock climbing or classic literature. If your mate doesn't share your interests then you probably just wanted one thing from them anyway and then one would have to wonder why you got married just for that in the first place. If you have your own health insurance and don't plan on having kids (or the kids are gone) there's no reason to get married. Problem solved.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
It stands to reason that any time-consuming leisure activity which takes away from "together time" is going to have similar effects. If one partner is left feeling neglected, what difference does it make if its a video game or football game that is to blame? Do we have to spend money proving this for each and every activity individually? In mathematics they prove the general case so that they don't have to redo the proof for every number.

G

@XZaapryca if all those conditions exists then, there are no problems to begin with...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I just tell her "Hey ur on facebook all the frickin time too!"That usually shuts her up.....[/citation]
A thousand times this. I'm not a heavy gamer, maybe 8 hours / week, but my wife is on Facebook at work for at least 3 hours / day (government job) and uses Facebook on her phone probably once every half hour the rest of the day. That adds up to probably 3-4 times the amount of time that I spend gaming.

The reason that I think online gaming has an impact is because you can't really just stop playing when your spouse wants something (i.e. no pause online). At least that's why my wife gets annoyed at me when I play online.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Logic FAIL.
They concluded that if someone plays RPGs ==> Relationship suffers. But this can very well be the other way around - Relationship suffers ==> someone plays RPGs (running away to a different world).

What an idiotic research.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Face it ladies.... You're boring. If you didn't have all the fun parts you would be ignored. I had 4 girls friends at a time when I was younger due to the brain dead attitude that girls who don't look like cows posses. I'm in my 30's now and want to raise kids so I had to pick the least boring girl I could find with good features and settle down. So really the MMO/RTS/FPS games men play for hours on end are just a replacement for the lack of stimulation after marriage. In a perfect world I would of met a great ex-fat girl who loves everything I love but I like to live in reality. The % of hot ex fat girls who are still cool is close to nill. Now that i think about it, I'd rather have kids without the fat genes and be 70% happy then have kids with bad genes and be 100% happy. So in the end I made the right choice. Before you thumb me down be honest to yourself, how many short fat and ugly men have hot ass wives due to to the dweebs net worth? Call me sexist, I don't care...Id rather be sexist then a prostitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.