OnLive Finally Arrives on Tablets and Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Onlive sucks. IMO Tried it, didn't like it. Wont pay for it.

Why does it suck?? i used it and it runs games pretty good with around Ps2/xbox graphics and games are cheap and they run on any system even ones with Intel graphics. Sure it does not have a lot of titles but its still pretty good

RealJames

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I can't possibly imagine a wireless connection having low enough latency, let alone an internet connection, to stream games back.
This is of course after the game's image has been encoded as video on the fly, that I can imagine happening in a few milliseconds, but not transmitted at 1080p.
Most games need exceedingly good response times, how do they overcome that?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Why does it suck?? i used it and it runs games pretty good with around Ps2/xbox graphics and games are cheap and they run on any system even ones with Intel graphics. Sure it does not have a lot of titles but its still pretty good[/citation]

PS2/Xbox? Rofl, any modern laptop can run that. No need for stupid cloud gaming.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
"PS2/Xbox? Rofl, any modern laptop can run that. No need for stupid cloud gaming."

If anything cloud gaming should be publicized more so PC gaming can come back. I feel this has a lot of promise, Think about any laptop/netbook for 300-400$ can run this and the games are cheap and you can rent them also without having to install them. They need to improve their gaming list but that's it. When i used onlive its actually quite good. Games such as dirt 3 would never run on a Intel 2000HD graphics but it does with onlive.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I tried Onlive and I thought it was pretty neat. I think if you're close enough to one of their data centers it could be a really viable option if you're not interested in buying anything to start gaming besides their service. Being so used to my gaming computer I don't think I could ever use it, but I imagine a lot of people would find it convenient or a good option.

Either way, I'm glad they created the service. I never would have imagined something like Onlive being functional, and at least they pushed the envelope and made it work. Good for them.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I tried this in UK over mobile internet "HSDPA " and the lag is close to none. My only problem is that my phone (SGS2) gets hot in only 2 minutes of use, and after 10 minutes you can't even hold it in your hand. So I can't use it. (also the controls on a touch-screen suck)

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]When will it "finally" get games I want to play!?[/citation]

What you like Leisure Suit Larry ? How would anyone here know what games you play?

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]PS2/Xbox? Rofl, any modern laptop can run that. No need for stupid cloud gaming.[/citation]

If you like spending 10 to 15 minutes installing each game, or filling up your hard drive... then PC Gaming is fine. You can't save a PC game and then resume it on a Tablet or 4G Phone, but Onlive does have this option.

Onlive requires minimal specs to run games in 720p. Games load instantly and you can even try full version games for 30 minutes for FREE to see if you like them.

Maybe if you have a decent internet connection and tried OnLive, you could make comments based on first-hand experience, rather than being one of those people that complain about things without experiencing them!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]realjames[/nom]I can't possibly imagine a wireless connection having low enough latency,.....Most games need exceedingly good response times, how do they overcome that?[/citation]

Actually most games do not require low latency, only PVP games require low latency, and most games are not PVP. Additionally wifi does not have a very high latency, If you ping your router when connected to wifi you will see your latency. Personally I have an average of 2ms over LAN and 5ms over wifi with a range of 1-12ms. Considering the average reaction time of a human is 215ms, adding 5ms to that won't make a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.