OnLive Founder: We've Broken Shannon's Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Wonder if it involves multiple smaller towers all interconnected and placed on building roofs or something (network maybe?).

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Streaming is going nowhere as long as their are hard caps in place. Who cares if they can delivery 100TBs of data to your house in once second if you go over your monthly bandwidth cap.[/citation]

the point of those limits, partially to gain money, are also in place because they dont have the copacity to handle that may people simultaneously.

if this works the way that i believe it does, it takes those limits (on networks) and gets rid of them. if they keep low (sub 100gb) caps after this is implemented, we will know that they are only in it for the money.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i have a question "possibly even eliminating wired connections altogether"

anyone here not have a land line at all? i mean for emergancys, like a 911.

the last thing i would ever want is to call 911 from a cellphone if ANY other method is possible, because not every 911 call center can triangulate your position, or lets say you are in an apartment, they cant get the triangle to be accurate enough. lets say you slip, have a slight fall, but you fell onto a glass, and that glass cut your neck to the point you cant really talk, and if you release the pressure, you will die from bleeding out (happed to a relative of mine, they were drunk, but lived). do you want them to find you as fast as possible in that situation, you have to use a land line. you dont cellphone that.

i will ALWAYS have a land line (and 1 trackphone for car emergency use) till they day they dont offer it for that reason.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the point of those limits, partially to gain money, are also in place because they dont have the copacity to handle that may people simultaneously. if this works the way that i believe it does, it takes those limits (on networks) and gets rid of them. if they keep low (sub 100gb) caps after this is implemented, we will know that they are only in it for the money.[/citation]

Right, and if a company has way more bandwidth than its users are using, it can begin to offer unlimited data service again, which would be a huge advantage over its per-MB competitors. Prices went up because supply (of bandwidth) was short of current demand. In this case, simple microeconomic notions can explain most of the recent wireless pricing changes.

fordry06

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]wooodoggies[/nom]no freaking thank you, i will keep my ultra secure DSL, i dont care how fast wireless or cable is, its WAAYYY to unsecure.[/citation]

heh, you realize that if someone wants to hack you it doesn't matter how "secure" your connection is, it will happen? That is what strong encryption is for when doing anything that requires security. Depending on your "landline" to keep you safe is ignorant.

G

@alidan I don't have a land line, and I haven't for at least 5 years.
I'll modify part of your paragraph to fit my frame of mind. "The last thing i would ever want is to call 911."
Maybe I am some sort of macho tough guy survivalist. I always like to think that if I am incapable of keeping myself from dieing without the aid of surgery or drugs, then I should be dead. Thinking about a drunkard hurting/killing him/herself sounds like a fine thing that I can accept, and I would be perfectly happy seeing those die due to their own stupidity. I see the world as a process of natural selection.

This part is a little out there. When I am too old to take care of myself, I hope I die. Think of the vast number of people who still live as a pure burden to other people. I am not saying I desire some form of mass exodus, but keeping around a relic of a human being and watching them slowly decay isn't pleasing, wonderful, or natural to any degree. I hope that those who find my corpse leave it where it lay, if something must be done, throw my lifeless body into a hole and be done with it. No clothing, no make up, no insane and disgusting song and dance funeral.

This DIDO technology still has no demo. I watched the guys entire 1 hour speech, of which maybe 15 minutes related to DIDO. It sounds like a mesh network that connects to a small number of backbone nodes with massive bandwidth. The key that makes DIDO so excited is the wireless bandwidth and range.

I am shocked this article makes no mention of the range. Perlman makes claim that his radios have excellent SNR, and through that, they can achieve amazing ranges. They say they have tried 30 miles and found excellent results. Think about 30 miles. I mean, if you had to setup 2 repeaters to have a solid internet connection in the middle of no where, that'd be more than acceptable.
A lot of people like to make contrasts of broadband speeds. US vs south korea. That is fun and all, but the problem is running miles and miles and miles of fiber to and from. Feel free to compare Korea to Some heavily populated area in California. I am betting you'll find the numbers aren't too bad. But if this DIDO technology were to work as it is claimed, the need for 'the last mile' connections simply would cease to be. Basically, imagine if your wireless router was your cable modem and it was capable of pushing a gigabyte a second. Obviously it wouldn't be perfect or whatever, but if it works and it's real, it would destroy monopolies in the ISP area and make you laugh about the cost of what you pay now for your cell phone data plan. "I can't believe how much I was paying at the time, what a rip off that was!"

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]You can't break a theorem, he's certainly misusing/misinterpreting it.[/citation]

That's a bit narrow minded. Theorems can and have been broken in the past. Having said that i don't know enough about this particular theorem to really comment. Just that, if it's something new, don't discredit it the first time over.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"Perlman said he's already patented the DIDO tech"

Do I smell another patent lawsuit in the near future? Really, I'm getting sick of patents. This tech might be good, but if it's only for OnLive, then it's worthless. The latency on OnLive is just far too high to be to enjoy it (personally).

Maybe they'll license it for an affordable price... I could get behind that.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
There is no way he would have made such a statement if it wasn't true. It'd be horribly damaging to OnLive and any of his other ventures. The fact that they hired someone to disprove this tech speaks volumes.

Forget you negative Nancys, I'm looking forward to this technological advancement.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Streaming is going nowhere as long as their are hard caps in place. Who cares if they can delivery 100TBs of data to your house in once second if you go over your monthly bandwidth cap.[/citation]
Thank God in the UK we have truely unlimited usage, really cheap.
I pay Sky $7.50 for 20meg and the line must be melting with the amount I download.
Sucks to be you.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Thank God in the UK we have truely unlimited usage, really cheap.I pay Sky $7.50 for 20meg and the line must be melting with the amount I download.Sucks to be you.[/citation]

you're on fiber optics, i assume?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]you're on fiber optics, i assume?[/citation]
Nope, still on garden variety ADSL2, but my local exchange is upgrading to fibre at the end of the year. Then I can expect my speed to approximately treble up to 60-ish meg.

I love it :)

G

Patent 7418053 is for DIDO. The trick is that the base and the client tell each other about the channel fingerprint, and encode/decode the per-channel content with individual DSP's rather than a common DSP bonded for all channels like with MIMO applications. Application 2008/0019341 is an interesting application of self-chaining wall-wart jacks to cloud-ify a given physical site.

Status
Not open for further replies.