OnLive Game Service Hits PC, Mac in June

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I suppose if your a console gamer this would be a good way to go. But if your a pc gamer like me it's just downgrading. There are some good things about it though, well, good and bad.

Good-
1. going to help with selling pc games, since you have to
buy your own games, or they have to buy them. So it'll help
the pc gaming industry one way or another.

2. No need to upgrade ( I read on another site they are gonna upgrade there servers every 6 months. how is that possible? I don't know.)

3. More people to play with on pc servers.

4. No more red ring of deaths, well, its basically just a terminal with a controller so I cant really see them having major issues with heat.

5. Limited games

BAD-

1. mentioned before- latency

2. Graphics change according to bandwidth, so if your bandwidth is being bottlenecked for some reason, the graphics could go from great, to ok, to crap.

3. Cost- 15 dollars a month isn't bad, but if you have to buy all your games again, plus the unit itself, plus you need a pc to hook it up 2. Even then it's not that bad, but it's still like renting something you'll never own. And, what happens if the server go's down? Your out of luck. At least consoles you can play without internet. Reminds me of Ubisofts drm.

4. Upgrades- yeah, they are gonna upgrade every six months, but to how much? And if they don't get enough players, how are they gonna afford to upgrade to play the newest games? If it works like a cloud they might not have to upgrade as much, but I suppose it depends on how many people are playing at once. Reminds me of the iphone and at&t's network.

My questions-

1. Controllers? Accessory upgrades? Mouse keyboard?

2. I heard a new format is coming out within the year or so called ultra h.d. Pc's will already support it, but I doubt this will.

3. I wonder how streaming 1080p is going to affect ISP's. Especially the ones that have put caps in place.

Conclusion- If I didn't have a pc and if my only choice was a console because of lack of funds, I'd definately consider it, But I do own a pc. I think it's a good thing though, in concept anyways. Hopefully they will be able to work out all the bugs. But I think it might be a few years.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]I suppose if your a console gamer this would be a good way to go. But if your a pc gamer like me it's just downgrading. There are some good things about it though, well, good and bad.Good- 1. going to help with selling pc games, since you have to buy your own games, or they have to buy them. So it'll help the pc gaming industry one way or another.2. No need to upgrade ( I read on another site they are gonna upgrade there servers every 6 months. how is that possible? I don't know.)3. More people to play with on pc servers.4. No more red ring of deaths, well, its basically just a terminal with a controller so I cant really see them having major issues with heat.5. Limited gamesBAD-1. mentioned before- latency2. Graphics change according to bandwidth, so if your bandwidth is being bottlenecked for some reason, the graphics could go from great, to ok, to crap.3. Cost- 15 dollars a month isn't bad, but if you have to buy all your games again, plus the unit itself, plus you need a pc to hook it up 2. Even then it's not that bad, but it's still like renting something you'll never own. And, what happens if the server go's down? Your out of luck. At least consoles you can play without internet. Reminds me of Ubisofts drm. 4. Upgrades- yeah, they are gonna upgrade every six months, but to how much? And if they don't get enough players, how are they gonna afford to upgrade to play the newest games? If it works like a cloud they might not have to upgrade as much, but I suppose it depends on how many people are playing at once. Reminds me of the iphone and at&t's network. My questions-1. Controllers? Accessory upgrades? Mouse keyboard?2. I heard a new format is coming out within the year or so called ultra h.d. Pc's will already support it, but I doubt this will.3. I wonder how streaming 1080p is going to affect ISP's. Especially the ones that have put caps in place.Conclusion- If I didn't have a pc and if my only choice was a console because of lack of funds, I'd definately consider it, But I do own a pc. I think it's a good thing though, in concept anyways. Hopefully they will be able to work out all the bugs. But I think it might be a few years.[/citation]

Number 5. in good section should be in bad sect. sorry

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Now a game: Supreme Commander has always lagged insanely even on the most powerful machines if you created enough units.

if they promise good performance I hope to see it run fluently at highest settings without any noticeable performance drop... probably not going to happen though.

hope they dont just turn graphics down if they cannot handle the load.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'd be game if I was rocking a gigabit fibre, but alas, I'm not, and I have a 50ms latency of severs only a few kilometres away and 150ms for anything in anything even central US.
Plus, my cap is 100GB. I already use 200-300GB a month, my ISP would not like that.
How much do they compress the signal? For high quality high resolution gaming, would we need a powerful GPU to just decode it?
What is the cloud actually powered by? It's it all CPU, is it a CPU/GPU mix? Would we essentially just have a i7/5870m server rack dedicated to every player?

I already pay $50 a month for my net, I pay $60 per game. I'll be hard pressed to spend an additional $15 a month for the service. I damn well better be able to play games I already own (such as my steam games, my legit PC games and my entire xbox collection, because I hate buying the same game twice).
However, if it works as intended, I'll gladly sell my $2000 rig that I put blood, sweat, and tears into.

More importantly, when will affordable ultra low latency fibre come to major Canadian cities? I think that's the only deciding factor for me really.

G

why dont you fools asking all these questions look at the onlive website

4ILY45

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Supposedly the service can also stream games like Crysis to the iPhone, making OnLive an ideal service for gaming on the go.
this i gotta see!! (minor sarcasm)
seriously this sounds too improbable..

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]4ILY45[/nom]this i gotta see!! (minor sarcasm) seriously this sounds too improbable..[/citation]
Yeah...I still can't really wrap my head around this. I guess I should head on over to Onlive's site...

arvink

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Let me see reviews of EXPERIENCED gamers. The statement that testers could not even notice the different between cloud gaming and real gaming makes me wonder who they have testing.
I applied for the the beta testing almost a year ago but no reply :

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
My mind is playing tricks on me. I could have sworn I read another article that procided more information about the latency issue. It seemed like it would not be all that bad.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
yea um double or triple the bandwidth to play a game lol is this an isp conspiracy i mean we could only play a hd resolution for a few minutes before you use all your bandwidth

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
What happened to the days when you could search for random severs running the game you want to play or connect to dedicated servers and play for free. I still play for free use Xfire amd gamespy. But games like MW2 have brought an end to that. Now you can't even play over LAN on a lot of upcoming games namely "Starcrat2" and probably "Diablo 3". Gone are the good old days of late night LAN parties. What is the gaming world coming to? It's all greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.