OnLive Now Supports Armada 1500 HD Media SoC

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]I have yet to meet a single person who uses OnLive ... does anybody use this thing?[/citation]
I've played the various games that are free-to-try." I am not impressed, and even on our home 16/2 connection which has more than enough bandwidth at any given time to stream HD feeds, I still saw consistent and common reduction in game quality when trying some of the OnLive games.

Also, I don't understand how people in various forums claim to not notice input lag with OL. If you fire up any first-person shooter, it's pretty bad.

I don't doubt that "cloud" gaming is going to become popular. But for now, it's definitely still in "alpha" state if you ask me.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
On Live is a great idea and in time, I believe it will become a viable replacement for PC/Console gaming for some users. (For hardcore gamers like myself, I don't think it will ever reach our expectations.)

For it to reach a level of a viable replacement, several limiting factors in the world will have to change like Internet bandwidth caps (Really Guys? Such BS), the infrastructure problems with current ISP (Just stop being cheap and build the networks out. DSL doesn’t count anymore) and much more efficient/powerful GPU virtualization platforms to really show off the beauty in the games. (Low/medium detail on an AAA game is not acceptable and neither is 100+ input latency)

Right now I agree with the above statement that the technology/platform is a working alpha, but give it 3-5 years and the right improvements in technology. It could become something worthwhile.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I originally thought cloud computing was not for us to rent computer use from others to play games, but for others to rent currently unused resources from our home gaming computers to do supercomputer work. Instead of us buying weaker home computers, we would start buying huge supercomputer racks to put in our homes which we would gradually upgrade by buying more blades and gradually replacing the oldest slowest blades with the newest fastest ones which would all still be able to work together with each other despite being different speeds. Our home computer hardware, electricity, and internet bills would become ridiculously huge, but we wouldn't care because we would actually be making profit. I guess I was an idiot. Thumb me down if you think I was an idiot.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation]I've played the various games that are free-to-try." I am not impressed, and even on our home 16/2 connection which has more than enough bandwidth at any given time to stream HD feeds, I still saw consistent and common reduction in game quality when trying some of the OnLive games. Also, I don't understand how people in various forums claim to not notice input lag with OL. If you fire up any first-person shooter, it's pretty bad.I don't doubt that "cloud" gaming is going to become popular. But for now, it's definitely still in "alpha" state if you ask me.[/citation]

Exactly my case with OnlIve here.

Status
Not open for further replies.