Solved! Only the games run slow in laptop LEGION Y520

Vicky0712

Great
Apr 17, 2020
I recently had an small accident with my bike , the bag
in which I was carrying my laptop (LENOVO LEGION Y520) was torn , So let us assume it got some impact due to the accident . When I checked , I'm not able to find any damage to my laptop from outside , Nothing broke , Everything looks normal from outside.
Before the accident everything was working fine and I used to game a lot , after the accident , The game lags a lot and the frame rate is really low , I'm not able to play any games properly it lags a lot.
But my laptop works fine , I'm able to do all the operations normally except gaming.

Solution
Well, it isn’t that easy... it means that something is wrong with the video card. You could go into your BIOS and try to shut off the onboard GPU, but then you might not be able to boot to windows,

you should be able to go back to BIOS and change it back.

if you have an Nvidia card, you can also try to go to the GeForce experience and settings to see if there are any issues.

if you run something demanding on your laptop, are you hearing the fans?

R

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi - you could have a few issues... your cooling system could have been damaged so when the heat builds up the system throttles back.

I have the y540 and it has Optimus which means it can use either the GTX graphics or the onboard. Maybe your graphics board was damaged as well....

You may want to download one of the programs that tell you which graphics you are using...then run the games and see if it is stuck on the onboard graphics.

R

Vicky0712

Great
Apr 17, 2020
Heyyy thanks for the reply , Yesss I will check which graphics is being used , And few months before the accident , I had given the laptop for service , They cleaned the fan and all that .
But yeah let me know whats the issue

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Well, it isn’t that easy... it means that something is wrong with the video card. You could go into your BIOS and try to shut off the onboard GPU, but then you might not be able to boot to windows,

you should be able to go back to BIOS and change it back.

if you have an Nvidia card, you can also try to go to the GeForce experience and settings to see if there are any issues.

if you run something demanding on your laptop, are you hearing the fans?

R

Solution