Open CD Rom

helenbarr76

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
I have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop and am trying to open the CD Rom drive to install printer drivers. I have checked in My Computer and it shows the CD Rom drive but there's no physical button on the laptop or a 'open pin hole' to force it to open. Please help?

Solution

In all my years as a computer tech I've never seen even 1 drive that doesn't have an eject button. That includes when I worked as a warranty tech for Dell. If there really is no button then I think you have a drive blank (empty plastic filler) NOT a CD drive.
But all hope is not lost you can buy a USB DVD drive fairly cheap. OR you can buy the internal one designed for your laptop (by Dell).

To see for sure, look for a locking screw on the bottom of your laptop. Take the...

elbert

Distinguished
Open up drives explorer and right click on the drive and select eject.
unmount-iso-eject-file-explorer.jpg

helenbarr76

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

Have tried that and it comes up with an error message "An error occurred while ejecting 'CD Drive'"

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006

In all my years as a computer tech I've never seen even 1 drive that doesn't have an eject button. That includes when I worked as a warranty tech for Dell. If there really is no button then I think you have a drive blank (empty plastic filler) NOT a CD drive.
But all hope is not lost you can buy a USB DVD drive fairly cheap. OR you can buy the internal one designed for your laptop (by Dell).

To see for sure, look for a locking screw on the bottom of your laptop. Take the screw out then push in on the whole drive/drive blank. It should spring out slightly, pull it out to see it's just empty plastic.

Just checked. Some Inspiron 15's without touch using AMD CPU's are sold without a DVD drive.

Solution

elbert

Distinguished

Some drives the entire door is the eject so try pressing in on the drive door. If that doesn't work then you probably need a replacement.