Open Source Alternatives: Productivity Software

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Rachel
Thanks for the topic change :) and the comment. Please keep in mind that open source software editors can be commercial and would like to make M$ money too.

As for the career change don't worry it was just trolling.

Ohseus
a bed of pancakes????? you better seek some professional in Austria (where Freud studied)
BTW there is no confusion possible since when you read the article the title was already changed.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Wouldn't Ubuntu/OpenSuse/Fedora be prudent to include in your list. Granted they are operating systems, but you can get the majority of software in your list to work natively in those Distros.

Gimp is much cleaner in Linux as well... it's painful to use in Windows =)

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
If Windows Movie Maker was more stable, I'd actually consider buying it as a separate item. I like the simplicity of this application, and the layout.

WMM has been fine for my basic video projects, even though it's 32-bit and runs on a system with limited memory resources.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]army_ant7[/nom]I'm glad to see that last line of this article. It's very refreshing to read it and know that there are actually people out there who care. :)[/citation]

I agree..thanks Eric for providing these incites.

My own personal favorite for file management is Heatsoft Handy file tool. It's 100% freeware and I've been using it for years.

http://www.handyfiletool.com/index.html

Basically I had a shed load of log files I'd accumulated, that I had to process in batches. This included shrinking the size of the text by replacing or deleting common references..you get the picture. Let's just say that the standard Windows search tool simply wasn't upto it, so this was the principal reason for looking around.

HFT may appear to have a somewhat complex interface, but don't be put off. This software runs like a Bugatti Veryron in a rush..it leaves other tools in the dust. Furthermore, it's default option is to backup file alterations. It's very intuitive, very powerful and very adaptable to your needs.

If you want to organize your files, search and batch edit text, this app leaves the Windows standard tool in the dust. I really can't recommend this software enough. Oh, and if you're in any way worried about the system requirements..

64 MB RAM or more
2.09 MB of hard disk space

Windows Vista
Windows 2003
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows 98

If that isn't a compact little app then I don't know what is :)

G

Ubuntu 10.04 is an alternative to Free Operating System, where you can get libreoffice, video editing, and everything you need without paying for any software. It runs and does everything just as windows.

G

don't forget "Paint.NET". a very good free image and photo editing software.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
libreoffice should have been there... with Ooo being meantioned as its replacement since Oracle effectively killed ooo. So why point people to an unsupported no longer developed product? By making LibreOffice they have more freedom to improve the product. Tsk tsk... I told a few ooo developers years ago to included an outlook like program... this will attract more users.

Essential Pim is a free pim (contact manager) that is very good. I like it more than outlook. But its strickly a pim.

Ninite.com is the easiest way to get most of these free tools... all on a single page.

G

Libreoffice can certainly save in Microsoft's docx format. I think the previous Openoffice, of which Libreoffice is a fork, could also do this in contrast to what the review states. For reading, Libreoffice / Openoffice is much better at opening the range of versions of Word formats through the ages than any one version of Word itself. It is a useful tool for that alone even if you don't like it for writing in.

I have seen many presentations ruined when guest speakers with pptx powerpoint formats give lectures at sites that only support the older ppt. Always amusing.

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Easeus Partition Master is a good freeware program to edit partitions within Windows.

Easeus To Do Backup is good for Cloning and Image backups.

I've used both of these programs to upgrade HDDs to SSDs.

Mariko787

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I used Photoshop many years ago, but i find some Free and Open Source Software Alternatives...It's a perfect substitute...See more: <a href="http://www.pos-guide.com">www.pos-guide.com</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.