Solved! Opening laptop

Solution
May I know the model of the laptop? It really depends on the design. Most manufacturers make it extremely hard for people to open up their own laptops, some manufacturers make it so hard, that if you want to do something as simple as see the fan, you have to take everything out... the DVD Drive.. RAM... Wireless card etc... keyboard...

What I do when I'm opening up a laptop, is a get a piece of paper, and I draw a bunch of boxes, and in those boxes, I put each group of nails from a certain part of the computer, it helps you be organized. Taking your computer apart generally works this way:

First, you have to turn off the computer, unplug it from the electrical source, and take out the battery.
Second, you have to open up the panel...

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

It entirely depends on the laptop in question. Your best bet is to google the model number and find a guide to disassembling it. However, most of the time you shouldn't need to remove the whole case. Most parts like ram and hard drives can be changed without disassembly as they have a special cover on the bottom. Cleaning is usually as simple as taking a shopvac to the air vents.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

what im doing is attempting to fix a laptop which i have never done before. i dont knw if im stupid or not im doing it to see what i can do to it and try to find out what the problem is.

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
When fixing a laptop you need to figure out whether the error is in hardware or software. If you press the power button and nothing happens, most likely you have a dead power supply or motherboard, which are not easy repairs. If the laptop does boot past the bios, then you may just need to reinstall windows.
Usually I don't even bother fixing laptops myself. It's much less risky to send it in to the manufacturer for repair. It can be expensive, but then again you can always buy a new one.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
May I know the model of the laptop? It really depends on the design. Most manufacturers make it extremely hard for people to open up their own laptops, some manufacturers make it so hard, that if you want to do something as simple as see the fan, you have to take everything out... the DVD Drive.. RAM... Wireless card etc... keyboard...

What I do when I'm opening up a laptop, is a get a piece of paper, and I draw a bunch of boxes, and in those boxes, I put each group of nails from a certain part of the computer, it helps you be organized. Taking your computer apart generally works this way:

First, you have to turn off the computer, unplug it from the electrical source, and take out the battery.
Second, you have to open up the panel under the laptop that gives you access to the RAM, some manufacturers make one big panel that carries the hard drive(s), wireless card and the RAM, unscrew and take out all those parts. Once you've done that, still on the bottom of the laptop, look for a screw around the center of the laptop, it might have a CD icon next to it. You need to unscrew that, and then pull out your CD/DVD drive from the side.
Next, you need to flip your laptop over and then you need to take off the front panel, then unscrew the keyboard from the body. becareful when removing the keyboard, there is a ribbon under it, and pulling it might damage the keyboard, you will see 2 pieces on each side of the ribbon where it plugs into the motherboard, slide them up and the ribbon will be released.
Next, you to undo the rest of the nails you see under the keyboard. Also, you will need to take off the screen. To do this, simply unscrew all the nails holding it in place, and carefully unplug the video cable, and the wireless cable. Set it down aside carefully. Then, flip the laptop over again, and unscrew all the nails on the body. The corners, maybe inside the panel, where thr hard drive was, the battery compartment, and some manufacturers hide nails on the side of where the DVD drive was. Also, if it is accesible, please remove the CMOS battery. it is a flat battery that might be connected thru a wire, leaving it will prevent you from pulling the 2 main parts of the chassis apart.
Now that you've done that, you can flip the laptop over, carefully, pull apart the 2 main chassis parts, the top and bottom. Do whatever you wanted to do, and put the laptop back together in reverse.

Solution