Opera Accuses Apple of Blocking Open Standards Again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I think if Apple continues this, it will be the most hated company in the world. Their way to do things must be stopped, cause they inflict damage to the progress and people's wallet.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]How does this come as a surprise to anyone?[/citation]
Who said it was a surprise? I'm not surprised and you're not surprised and it doesn't really look like many of the other commenters are surprised.

We expect this from Apple at this point.

monsta

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
My tolerance for Apple is getting thinner and thinner, why is it MS gets sued with IE antitrust in the EU and yet Apple can force you to use Safari and no one bats an eyelid?

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
THANKS A LOT EA.MY CONNECTION SPEED IS DOWNGRADED AS MY DOWNLOAD LIMIT HAS BEEN CROSSED TRYING TO DOWNLOAD YOUR STUPID PATCH AGAIN AND NOW IT SAYS AROUND 46 HRS REMAINING.I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING A REFUND AT THIS POINT.TOO BAD COZ I WAS A BF VETERAN

G

This Site CENSORS CONTENT!

Nothing on this site can be TRUSTED! CENSORSHIP!!!!

Edited for fun !!!

:)

G

The Opera employee which source you cite had a prominent disclaimer that his posts doesn't represent the views of Opera.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]My tolerance for Apple is getting thinner and thinner, why is it MS gets sued with IE antitrust in the EU and yet Apple can force you to use Safari and no one bats an eyelid?[/citation]

Because Apple has a much lower market share than Microsoft did. OS X and Safari each have sub 10% global market share. They're too small-fries for the regulators to bother with... so far...

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
"If they had joined, they would have been forced to file the patent claims far sooner. So now we know why they didn't join. What we don't know is why Apple insists on waiting almost until the last minute before filing its patent claims."
Because patents don't last forever. The longer they wait to file, the more time it has to become a standard used by everybody, and the longer they can extort $$$ from all their bled dry victims.

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]puddleglum[/nom]Because patents don't last forever. The longer they wait to file, the more time it has to become a standard used by everybody, and the longer they can extort $$$ from all their bled dry victims.[/citation]

No, I think they meant filing their patent claims to the W3C, who were attempting to build an open standard. What this did was to notify the W3C about the existing patents with as little time to re-tool the standard as possible, thus wasting a lot of brainstorming/development time of ideas that were already patented. As ridiculous as that notion is.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Yet another reason I try to be Apple free. Looks like even standards will have to file patents just to be standards, what is stop me from looking at your open source development work and patent what it does?

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]DaveG12[/nom]wow, a lot of butt-hurt Apple haters in here...[/citation]

Right? I love it when people try to tell people how to use what they own. Or how they should use it.. They could have been more polite about it all, and not waited.. However, it is their patent(s). Bravo.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Tom's is all about haters ... and that's exactly why Apple have nothing to fear. If you don't understand this statement, then just keep on hating ... you'll understand eventually ... maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS