Opinion: Is Netflix Now Set Up For Failure?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Yeah... this is the kind of articles Gruener should be writing. Not discuss the "death of PC".

I'm really amazed by how much everyone talks about Netflix. What, no other way to get movies? DVD store? Why does anyone care, anyway? How much time do people spend watching movies? :D

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
They were screwed the moment they got popular. Now all hollywood wants to do is bend them over and take them for a ride all the way to the bank. I have a feeling they will eventually fold, once hollywood is done strangling them for the crap they are willing to let them stream. Is a shame really, becuase once they are gone, people will end up going back to pirating, and then the greedy fucks will get nothing.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
They could have set up a structure where both the services are different legal companies under a corporation. It would have the same effect. They also could have changed the two services titles a lot better. For example Netflix: DVD Bam! there you go, new business title and it's still netflix...but just DVD. The logo could be Netflix, with the words DVD smaller and slightly overlapping the bottom part of "flix" in the word Netflix. How could they not figure that out?

When Blockbuster get's streaming, and their library is halfway decent, I'll be leaving Netflix. As it is, if I want to start getting DVDs again, I'll sign up for Blockbuster.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]ThisIsMe[/nom]First off I'll start with this. I'm sick and tired of reading all of these rants from pissed off, upset article writers who might as well be bloggers by allowing them selves to publish things like this. Just because they do not like the change to the pricing model. Seriously, just because you can complain and whine to your entire site visiter base does not mean you should. Get over yourself already.[/citation]
Some people need to stop attacking the messenger. Seriously, just because you can complain and whine in the comment section doesn't mean you should. Get over yourself.

Netflix has reported about 1 million lost subscribers since the price hike. This isn't because of rouge bloggers expressing opinions shared by many others, it's because the company is pissing off their customers.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
The last paragraph pretty much sums it up. If hollywood pushes too hard it will just increase Piracy and both will lose.
Over here Love film needs something like this tbh. The DVD rental is pointless and a waste of money IMO but the streaming charges £2 per film ontop of monthly fee and doesn't have a lot of titles available. I would happily pay full for streaming only if they actually had the business model in place.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I have something for all the people complaining about Hulu+ still having ads:

What about cable/satellite TV being 1/3 commercials? I mean REALLY think about it. You are also paying $40+ a month.

Ads are NEVER going away and only going to get worse as time goes on.

Also, with Hulu, it's only three 30 second commercials for a whole 21 minute episode. You can also have ads tailed to you. When you watch the exact same episode on TV, you are watching 9 minutes of commercials. Even if you have it recorded on your DVR, you still have to spend about 30 seconds to go through the 3 minutes of commercials each time.

And call me crazy, I for one like ads/commercials here and there. It lets me know new things coming out, etc.

Hulu will always have the more TV than Netflix. While Hulu isn't perfect, all the BIG NAME shows are up the same day or next day of it's air date.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
YES, The bottom line is that Netflix had something unique with DVD & streaming all in the same place for one great price. Now they are just like everyone else, so why would I ever what to use them? Now it is all about whoever is the cheapest.

Then they pick a name like "Qwikster" Not to be Confused With: Quixtar, QuickStar, Kwikster, Quickster, Kwik Star, Quik-Star, or Kickstar. WTH

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
NetFlix has a lot of issues. I laugh out loud at their plan to enter 3d world markets in Latin America, and I laugh even harder at the hard nose "content providers" who are giving Netflix such a hard time over costs.

Why? ? ? Well you can torrent any movie you want down here with no fear of reprisal, and on top of that you can buy brand new movies on any street corner for a dollar. And I don't mean new DVDs, I mean brand new at the theater movies.

No one enforces homicide laws down here, much less patent laws.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Netflix sucks. Wake me when they get true 1080p resolutions with 5.1 sound.[/citation]
get an apple tv...love mine ;)...don't get the new model..try to find an older generation model

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Amazon Prime eats netflixs for lunch. Amazon Prime is not only cheaper then netflix per year but they release the latest movies on stream faster.[/citation]
Amazon prime has some advantages (free 2 day shipping) and some disadvantages (not 'family friendly' in that there are lots of 'for pay' movies that can be accessed by kids that can rack up a huge bill, unlike Netflix, where it is either available or not...)

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Netflix sucks. Wake me when they get true 1080p resolutions with 5.1 sound.[/citation]
They have it: Its called a 'bluray Quickster subscription'...

Seriously? You are streaming content online... Get an IPTV service if this is really an issue for you... This from the guy that was happy to see HDDVD die because of it's inferior capacity and picture clarity to Bluray...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I dropped from 3 dvd to one. not streaming here. Suits me fine this way.
now, that e-mail was a joke. If you apologize for something, that means you acknowledge you screwed up and are fixing it. Not fixing it makes the apology empty, and that is why I believe this guy is a phoney.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]deekie75[/nom]I don't have any problem with a CEO saying, "I messed up." In fact, I think the guy deserves recognition for saying so. Honestly, when is the last time you heard ANYONE in corporate America admit fault? The problem I have is a 60% price hike with a "If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out - our marketing says we'll be fine" attached to it. Add in the fact that we've gotten nothing in return for it(less really - Starz) and I feel like I pretty much just swallowed a spoon of vinegar. Now, we're splitting the services under 2 different companies... er... huh???[/citation]

spoon of vinegar is puting it abit too midly don't you think,

felt more like i was chuging on a barrel of gasoline , and chasing it with horse manure and a match

dhvd79a

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]ThisIsMe[/nom]First off I'll start with this. I'm sick and tired of reading all of these rants from pissed off, upset article writers who might as well be bloggers by allowing them selves to publish things like this..[/citation]

Umm. Keep your blood pressure down and don't read the article/comments.

Going off on a rant because other people are expressing their opinion/displeasure in a forum inviting comments is kind of silly.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Netflix was great for the past few years. I have been without cable TV since 2007 or so. I used redbox to get new releases and my wife used the 1 at a time Netflix to get some of her documentries and such. We used the streaming to the Wii for the kids. Now they are streaming only and to my understanding loosing a bunch of stuff my kids like to watch. Now I got new decisions to make:

(1) DVD by mail - blockbuster is the same price
(2) Streaming - What is a good monthly fee based service?

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
The stock price tells the story:

Netflix%202011-09-19.png

The CEO needs to GO NOW!

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]I have something for all the people complaining about Hulu+ still having ads:What about cable/satellite TV being 1/3 commercials? I mean REALLY think about it. You are also paying $40+ a month.Ads are NEVER going away and only going to get worse as time goes on.Also, with Hulu, it's only three 30 second commercials for a whole 21 minute episode. You can also have ads tailed to you. When you watch the exact same episode on TV, you are watching 9 minutes of commercials. Even if you have it recorded on your DVR, you still have to spend about 30 seconds to go through the 3 minutes of commercials each time.And call me crazy, I for one like ads/commercials here and there. It lets me know new things coming out, etc.Hulu will always have the more TV than Netflix. While Hulu isn't perfect, all the BIG NAME shows are up the same day or next day of it's air date.[/citation]

Cable was originally supposed to be ad free, as you were paying for "premium content". Then greed took over. We all see how that went now.

Status
Not open for further replies.