Opinion: Nokia + Microsoft: Can 2 Losers Equal 1 Winner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavenr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Microsoft's phones are smooth and shows promise. In my opinion they need alot better marketplace simple things like more free games that are common. It's frustrating when everyone has a certain app through droid or the iphone that you can't get. I think they need to move the ball a little more quickly before i start to lose interest.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... and... M$ is @ risk to move the Metro crap over the successful windows platform... zune failed with Metro UI, Nokia failed with Metro UI, and there is a risk, that Windows 8 can fail with Metro UI... think about all the people who learned use windows in work and education sinse windows 95... and now M$ gonna crap all over the user foundation, just because M$ haz iPad envy... and M$ failed with iPod envy in ZUNE and iPhone envy with Nokia...

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I use a Windows Phone with great success, the LG Optimus 7. Has my Xbox live account integrated so Live games contribute to my profile. Everything is integrated nicely. Only annoyance is the camera, but that is hardware, not software.

The problem as I see it, it's hard to break the back of Apple without something that is entirely different. My partner is looking for a phone with a good camera, the only thing stopping me from suggesting the Nokia PureView is the lack of Windows Phone as the OS.

The OS is fantastic, it has never been a problem for me and it's very quick. The problem, as always, is the lack of hardware. Google get around this by supporting everyone, Apple get around this by controlling it themselves. Microsoft is in the weakest position by putting all the eggs in with Nokia.

I would pay to see what would happen if they put Windows Phone OS onto the iPhone hardware.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
iPhone had/has no new features, yet it's the best selling smartphone on the US (and many other) market. Sure, Nokia hasn't brought anything revolutionary to the WP platform yet, as they can't, not before Apollo. Worry not, PureView and RichRecording(don't forget this one) will come to the WP platform.

P.S. there is no curved screen on the L900

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gavenr[/nom]Microsoft's phones are smooth and shows promise. In my opinion they need alot better marketplace simple things like more free games that are common. It's frustrating when everyone has a certain app through droid or the iphone that you can't get. I think they need to move the ball a little more quickly before i start to lose interest.[/citation]
correction....they are Nokia phones...Microsoft installed the OS on them but it's not considered a Microsoft phone unless Microsoft manufactures the phone, which they don't

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]correction....they are Nokia phones...Microsoft installed the OS on them but it's not considered a Microsoft phone unless Microsoft manufactures the phone, which they don't[/citation]This is a strange distinction. They may as well have manufactured them as Microsoft impose minimum hardware requirements for compatibility.

Lots of people refer to their phones as Android phones, even though the hardware vendor can be one of many.

G

WP may be a good OS. It may do well what it does....But... Expectation for Microsoft is that its OS should be flexible and customizable...But it tried to mimic Apple and made an OS which tries to control every aspect of users life. People who like (or can tolerate) such system will buy iPhone. It is a proven product with loads of apps. Is there any reason for someone to buy a bad iPhone ie WinPhone.

G

"Why is it that the R&D of two such powerful companies with billions of dollars of resources and thousands of employees who are dedicated to reinvent the smartphone has culminated only in the Lumia 900? If you break it down, the Lumia 900 is just a nicely executed me-too phone, but it does not advance smartphone hardware in the way the iPhone did in 2007. "

BUT Nokia did release a smartphone that is completely unique from ANY other smartphone in the market. It's called Nokia N9 and has no obsolete, useless frontal buttons like Android and iPhone have. Too bad Elop wanted to be the hero who saves Nokia and decided to kill it for cannibalizing Lumia sales. Look it up!

G

I feel like this is all opinion.windows phone is dope. The release 900 at this point is dumb cause Apollo drops at end of year but since 900 released there has been more interest in WP. And you make it sound like Samsung and huwie(idk how to spell it) haven't announced they are going to make wp8 phones. The only reason android has such high user % is cause there is a million different android phones and well apple is apple. I posted this from my lumia 900 I loved this phones the UI is dope and super easy to use. I could see wp easily over taking Android share. My last phone was a dual core android and its not half as smooth as this. It also crashed a lot. Oh and some of the stuff you say does contribute to WP lack of amazing success is because of lack of apps. I guarantee if WP market was as big as android android would slowly become obsolete

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]-1 * -1 = 1Mathematically speaking yes, however I'm doubtful.[/citation]
Well..technically in this case we would be adding and not multiplying..
Regardless though, I still support this, having a Windows Phone myself. :p

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
My bet is R&D going towards hardware that will support Win Phone 8, im guessing same thing as apple with iPhone and iPad, same CPU. Easier to program for. I was holding out for Lumia 900 and wanted it so BAAAAAAD but the lackluster hardware makes me wait yet again.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I have no idea why Wolfgang is so against anything Microsoft. When it comes to smartphones, it's not always the hardware that matters. You have totally disregarded price and the user experience.

What's the point of talking so much about hardware? So what if you have a dual or a quad on a phone? It still lags. Take Android for example. Yes, you may tell me that ICS changes everything but let's be frank, ICS has been out since last year and exactly how long did it take for phones to get an upgrade? Let's look at HTC Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy Note. Heck, some phones are still running on 2.3.

You may have a dual or even a quad and it still lags the sh*t out and crashes very often. What's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS