Options and advice for upgrading my old HP Pavilion dv5-1020eo

Streetmix

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
need to help weighing in on if it is worth rather spending some money fixing up my laptop rather than putting it to waste and using more money and buying a new one. Seeing as I don't know very much about what is what, I appreciate all help.

I still have vista on it and an easy fix to start off with would be to add some RAM and upgrade to Windows 7, but my machine makes a lot of noise and heats up extremely fast. The main source being from where my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 is situated, would I be able to upgrade and replace this?

In addition I have another question, I opened it up a little to take a peak and I noticed that there should maybe be a fan over the processor? but there is none. I have sent it in to service once and they said they fixed the fans and I got a new screen, this was last year, but it still overheats.

and my battery is dead, so I need to buy a new one if I want to use it without being plugged in

So what would be a wise decision? Is it worth trying to salvage or should I start thinking about getting something better, as I use my computer for some SC playing (on low setting, unfortunately) and for school work and watching movies, nothing out of the ordinary.

thank you for your help.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

Well, you have an intergrated GPU. You normally can't change it...

Laptops normally don't have a fan ontop of the GPU/CPU. Instead, there is a heat pipe connected between the two and the fan. So, if you don't see a fan directly ontop of the CPU, don't worry.
The heat is an issue though, most people have similar issues. But something you could try if you haven't done this before, is use a can of compressed air (you can get them at any tech store, and at an office depot) and blow into the intake (under the laptop in the grill where the air get's sucked in) with the can.
Please! Make sure you insert a straightened paper clip in there to make sure that the fan DOES NOT move. If you do not insert one, you are at risk at maxing out the fan, it will break the fan, and you'll have to get it replaced.

Streetmix

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Ok thank you for the tips,
The spray I have used this passed year, but it still blacks out if I have the computer on a surface while either watching a movie, playing a game or anything putting too much strain on it because of overheating. But seeing as I cannot upgrade it any much better anyways then I will look into building a stationary computer or just investing in a new laptop.

thanks for the help :)

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Sorry that we couldn't get this issue resolved. If you need help finding a desktop or laptop, please ask, and we'll be able to help.