Question Options for a practical phone without the silly flash

Jan 25, 2022
I'm looking for a new phone and would like one that is very functional without all the extra fluff that is so common. For context, I currently use a Blackberry and Windows XP is my favorite version. I like sharp corners and hard edges, none of this bubbly toy-like UI that has predominated over the past few years. I will be using this phone for (gasp!) phone calls, texting, using simple medical calculator apps, reading/researching, and watching the occasional Youtube video. Cameras are a complete non-issue, the only thing I will use a camera for is a web conference maybe a couple times a year. Any suggestions for my rather odd desires?

You were doing fine until you added, "reading/researching, and watching the occasional Youtube video". I've been using a $39.95 Wal-Mart phone for all calls, texting (rare) and simple apps. I do use the camera on occasion, just because it's there. I wouldn't try video conferencing on it though (I have a tablet for that if need be).

-Wolf sends

I'm looking for a new phone and would like one that is very functional without all the extra fluff that is so common. For context, I currently use a Blackberry and Windows XP is my favorite version. I like sharp corners and hard edges, none of this bubbly toy-like UI that has predominated over the past few years. I will be using this phone for (gasp!) phone calls, texting, using simple medical calculator apps, reading/researching, and watching the occasional Youtube video. Cameras are a complete non-issue, the only thing I will use a camera for is a web conference maybe a couple times a year. Any suggestions for my rather odd desires?

If you want something for Youtube and whatever reading/researching is (I am assuming web sites and books) you need a smartphone. Just don't use any of the extra fluff that is installed on them. Moto G6 is a good lower end phone with a good enough screen and speed for most uses.