OS Installed on SSD, Need it installed on HDD

Kenny_74

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
So basically I bought my current laptop, the Lenovo Y510p about 2 years ago and everything was working fine up until about 2 weeks ago when the hard drive failed. In my laptop, there is a 20 gig SSD and a ~1TB HDD. When I got the laptop, the OS was installed on the HDD and the SSD was just extra storage (the main HDD went, not the SSD). So I brought my laptop to my local technicians ( I have insurance on the laptop) and they ordered the new hard drive. The problem is that once they got it, they put it in and installed windows on the SSD and left the HDD as extra storage. Because of this all my graphics card drivers will always be installed on the SSD (Program Files) and my Steam saves will always be in My Documents, also on the SSD. Because of this, I'm kind of screwed because I don't have enough memory for new save files or new graphics card drivers. ( As far as I have found none of these things can have their location changed. Steam lets you change the physical game download folder but not saves). I need helping getting my laptop back to normal so I have the OS on the HDD and the SSD as extra storage

Solution
there is a 20 gig SSD and a ~1TB HDD
they put it in and installed windows on the SSD

Totally incompetent 'local technicians'.
Take it back to them and make them fix it.
Or preferable, fix it yourself and never, ever, go to them again.

That 20GB SSD was never meant to be used as an actual drive, but rather just as cache for the 1TB HDD.
Did you advise the technician who worked on it that is how you wanted it set up?
I would take it back to them and have them set it up the way you want it. Or you can make your own set of recovery disks, pop those in, make sure to choose the HDD as the drive you want the OS installed on, and let it do its work. Then once the OS is installed on the HDD, you can then format the SSD and use it as a storage option again.

Kenny_74

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to respond.

"Did you advise the tech"
When they called after they had performed the diagnostic test and determined it was the hard drive, they told me that they would order the HDD and as soon as the part comes in, put the drive in and re-install the OS. I guess it's my fault for assuming they would set it back up the way it originally was. Taking it back is kind of last resort since I'm currently at Uni and don't have a car with me to drive to the shop.

"Own set of recovery disks" They sent me recovery disks but the Y510p does not have a disk drive, it has a second graphics card. I've been asking a few friends on campus if they have external disk drives but I've been coming up short with that search.

I downloaded a Windows 10 ISO from my school and tried installing it to the HDD and I made sure that I had correctly chosen the HDD but it after the installation and everything, its as if the OS just updated the license of the current Windows 10 thats installed because it is still showing the OS installed on my C:/ drive and my HDD drive is still empty. Ideally what I'd like to do is just install Windows 10 on the HDD and then just wipe the SSD.

Kenny_74

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

I figured that (about the SSD). And I'm going to take it back tomorrow if I can't get it sorted out today. The only thing stopping me from fixing it right this moment, its that I don't have a disk drive in my machine (and I can't find anyone with an external). They sent me Lenovo recovery disks, I just have no way to actually boot them.

Kenny_74

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

I figured that (about the SSD). And I'm going to take it back tomorrow if I can't get it sorted out today. The only thing stopping me from fixing it right this moment, its that I don't have a disk drive in my machine (and I can't find anyone with an external). They sent me Lenovo recovery disks, I just have no way to actually boot them.

USAFRet

Illustrious

From a different PC with a DVD drive, you can make bootable USB out of that.

Kenny_74

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

If you don't mind, could you elaborate? Or point me towards some more information about this?

Kenny_74

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

If you don't mind, could you elaborate? Or point me towards some more information about this?

USAFRet

Illustrious

From that Lenovo DVD, create an ISO file.
Then use
Rufus
or
Windows USB/DVD Download Tool
to move that to the USB.

Kenny_74

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

Awesome. Thank you so much for the help man. I really appreciate it.

Kenny_74

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

Awesome. Thank you so much for the help man. I really appreciate it.