Over 100 Startups Interested in Visa-free Tech Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
That's one weird project! I may be just as weird for wondering that, but what happens if they start murdering wach other on the ship? Where will the trials take place? What's the law on this? Can you imagine the disaster if the ship sinks!

silvermember

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]That's one weird project! I may be just as weird for wondering that, but what happens if they start murdering wach other on the ship? Where will the trials take place? What's the law on this? Can you imagine the disaster if the ship sinks![/citation]
I know right. This whole thing sounds good in theory, but when has that ever mattered in the real world?

I also imagine it would be nice......for the first few months then you gotta start dealing with reality.

targetdrone

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
What kind of data connection are they going to have 12 miles off the coast of California? Satilite? Enjoy the could at worse than dail up lag.

$1600 per person to live on ship? What is that a month, week, day? No way that's going to pay the keep the lights on.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
$1600 to live/work on board?
If that is 'per month' it would be one hell of a deal. Try renting anything in the San Francisco / San Jose area!

phump

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Sounds like an incubator for disaster. I'd imagine they would start poaching talent and ideas from one another.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Companies trying to evade national and international laws? Oh what-a-surprise...
And what will be the main spoken language on board of this Slave Boat? Let me guess... Chinese? no, too expensive, Kannada? or perhaps Tamil? No, wait, I hear Vietnamese coders are the least expensive...

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
So, would products developed on this ship be subject to import duties by the US and other companies? Taxation could torpedo any financial benefit of this venture.

Might be cool for a month or two. The commute would be hard to beat. But then, consider that you'd be living with all your co-workers! Your boss could literally hound you 24/7!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]targetdrone[/nom]What kind of data connection are they going to have 12 miles off the coast of California? Satilite? Enjoy the could at worse than dail up lag.$1600 per person to live on ship? What is that a month, week, day? No way that's going to pay the keep the lights on.[/citation]
Wireless will reach 12 miles over flat ocean pretty easily with a 3 foot dish on each end.
I'm just wondering how all these businesses will fare when a massive storm capsizes the boat.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Vulnerable, no legal system (eg: to protect the startups from fraud/extortion by the ship owners), but that's not the biggest problem.

Countries run by taxing income predominantly from their most successful. They use this money to help create the next set of successful people by purchasing education for them, etc.
Inhibiting taxation (eg bitcoin, tax havens like this ship) breaks this cycle. Especially when you inhibit taxation on the most successful people.

G

Doesn't international law require that all ships have some kind of country of registration whose flag the ship would have to fly. The ship is therefore under the jurisdiction of said country's laws.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I imagine they'll have internet and power problems. They'll still have to ship a bunch of food water etc in.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]I imagine they'll have internet and power problems. They'll still have to ship a bunch of food water etc in.[/citation]

I think that if we can manage a hgih speed connection to an aircraft carrier good knows where on the ocean we can manage a connection to a ship 12 miles off shore.

As for 'no law'... The ship has to fly the flag of some country of registration and that country's law will be that law of the 'floating' land :)

I don't see this as anything related to Tax evasion (at least not on a grand scale) but mostly a way to deal with VISA and work permit issues. Only a non-US citizen knows how difficult it can be to get the red tape worked out; and how expensive it is !

Status
Not open for further replies.