Over 3.5K Sex Offenders Booted from Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
oh i love how the media loves to up play this as "they made web safe" by doing this . it's jsut horse shit , because this only targets REGISTERED sex offenders, it deosn'tmake teh WEB ANY SAFER because the good lord knows there are alwasy twice as many unregistered sex offenders in any state , they never been caught and convicted , yet the media and police are gonna use this news to make people feel warm and cozy and safe , and more importantly to make them think the net is some how safer than it was before. it'sd back pattign sdelf promotion . and i hope most folsk relize that those sites are still full of possible freaks and wierdos.

oh and that guy that molested a 2 year old .. WTF , he should have his dick cut off with a spoon

G

Lighten up! No need for hysteria.

An article from CNET News contains this statement from Hemanshu Nigam, chief security officer for MySpace parent company News Corp: "There are still zero cases reported of any registered sex offender who was booted off MySpace being prosecuted for illegal contact occurring on MySpace."

G

These people already did their time in prison. We cannot assume that they will only use the sites to try and commit sex acts. They may use the site to socialize and network and be a normal person in society like everyone else who uses their site. Aren't these people rehabilitated since they are free again? It's time to start treating them like human beings. Remember there are stiff penalties for them to repeat their actions, so this should be deterrent enough. We have tough laws for a reason. There is no reason to blanket ban these people and limit freedom and liberty of Americans.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]wonder how they got through the prison system alive. usually they are the first ones to go[/citation]
True. Plus after they go to a "rehabilitation" facility which is a load of shit! I have one in my area in northern NY that looks like a maximum security prison...they work on trying to get them "help" and back out into the public. Cost NY 3 million dollars just to install THE FENCE around the facility. Nice to see where else tax payer's money gets wasted...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]goliasd89293[/nom]These people already did their time in prison. We cannot assume that they will only use the sites to try and commit sex acts. They may use the site to socialize and network and be a normal person in society like everyone else who uses their site. Aren't these people rehabilitated since they are free again? It's time to start treating them like human beings. Remember there are stiff penalties for them to repeat their actions, so this should be deterrent enough. We have tough laws for a reason. There is no reason to blanket ban these people and limit freedom and liberty of Americans.[/citation]
...you must be a sex-offender that infiltrated Tomshardware...

c0r3f1ght3r

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I think the whole sex offender thing is a lot of BS though, because almost anything can get u convicted of it, and its always a he said she said thing unless there's witnesses or its rape... I can understand rape but being marked for the rest of ur life and not being able to live in A LOT of places for touching some one wrongly... I know a guy who was convicted as a sex offender in GA and all he did was touch a girls ass, and now hes screwed forever... ffs he was like 17-18 at the time... gotta love today's world.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]goliasd89293[/nom]These people already did their time in prison. We cannot assume that they will only use the sites to try and commit sex acts. They may use the site to socialize and network and be a normal person in society like everyone else who uses their site. Aren't these people rehabilitated since they are free again? It's time to start treating them like human beings. Remember there are stiff penalties for them to repeat their actions, so this should be deterrent enough. We have tough laws for a reason. There is no reason to blanket ban these people and limit freedom and liberty of Americans.[/citation]

I agree. Unless they were convicted of using the social networking sites or the internet in general to lure their victims in, there's no reason to ban them from these networks. It's like banning people from malls because there are kids that go to the malls as well. Or banning the use of Vans because kids get raped in them.

The guy who raped a 2 year old can not be rehabilitated imo. That guy shouldn't be out on the streets.

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
This should indeed be a wake up call for any parents who can do math. The prevalence of sex offenders on facebook is less than the prevalence of sex offenders in the general populace. (About 400k offenders out of 300M citizens, and 3.5k offenders out of 5M Facebook users in NY -- the 3.5k figure includes duplicates as does the 5M figure.)

This has been the case in the past when a state has eliminated a group of sex offenders from social networks.

If data shows that sex offender with access to social networks commit crimes at a higher rate than those without, then by all means states should pursue this. But this is only one aspect of a difficult problem.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
+1 to goliasd89293.

Just because they're on a social network doesn't automatically mean they're using it to stalk victims. If they could actually find evidence this was true, it would make sense, but it sounds like they instead just decided that because they were a registered sex offender, they'd kick them.

Oh, and by the way, not all registered sex offenders are as bad as the ones described. You can get registered as a sex offender these days for something like an office 'joke' and patting some girl on the behind, if they take it seriously enough. Sure, it may not actually be funny, but it can get you on the list, even though it's a 'minor' infraction.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Are you yanks so scared of your own shadows that you have to resort to tactics like this? You have more guns per capita than any other nation, and you have to hide behind your govt.'s skirts to 'feel safe'?

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
My first thought when I see a headline like this is the same as when I hear something like "Saudia Arabia catches x-number of terrorists":
"Great. They are catching the stupid ones."

croc wrote:
"You have more guns per capita than any other nation,..."

Actually, on a per capita basis, we are 4th or 5th. First is Finland. And Israel and Switzerland are ahead of us.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
And this is what causes this mass panic and mobs with pitchforks mentality towards anyone labeled an "offender".
I got slapped with the charge when I was 18.
all because I was dating a 15 year old while I was 17. on my 18th Bday the father of the girl called police and downhill it went.

So by your guys mentality, without knowing my reasons for getting it, you assume I'm a sick child molester...
as does EVERYONE that sees I'm listed by looking it up in my neighborhood.
Learn about the reason behind why someone has it before lumping them in with the child rapist...

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Wonder how many 18 year olds got booted for having sex with their 17 year old significant others, and got labeled a sex offender in the process....Broken system....

DXWarlock, sorry to hear it man, I've had friends have the same thing happen, though fortunately the courts sided with them and they never got the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.