Overheating and noise ,Lenovo g510

ToastRider

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hello

I am planning to buy Lenovo IdeaPad g510 5937-4439
(i7-4700mq 2.4ghz , 6m , 8gb ram , 1TB + 8gb ssd ,15.6 amd 8750m)
I was wondering if this laptop will overheat , and if it will be noisy ,since the CPU is pretty good (right?)
I don't really like getting cool pads so I would like to know in advance , and if anyone knows about the battery life, it would be much appreciated

thank you

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Yes, With those specs, It's natural it'll overheat. And, buying a coolpad is recommended for those more-than-average warmer days. Don't really know if it'd be noisy. Battery backup won't also be great, since it is a G-series.

HaSh97

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014

HaSh97

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
Hello,
I do own a lenovo g510 (2.4 ghz, i5, 500gb, 15.6, 4 gb ram) . Well i have used the laptop on daily basis for more than 4-5 hours of moderate use(browsing, college work and no gaming) and it has not gotten hot although it does get very slightly warm. Due to the silent fan technology (or as they say) keeps the speed of the fan regulated, this means it only works at full speed when the computer needs it desperately. Other than that the fan spins slowly and makes very less noise. This feature is not available in its rival hp or dell laptops.

Overall its a good laptop, but nothing can be perfect. this has an average display and the build quality is ok. It's also a little uncomfortable to carry due to its weight. I would recommend you this laptop as its cpu has been good for my use. I can't provide you information about how this fares in gaming performance.

I hope you find this helpfull.

rannon

Estimable
May 24, 2014
i have owned this laptop for 4 months now and i have no issues with overheating whatsoever , i have stressed the gpu with furmark and it didn't exceed 80c which for laptops is superb... it is fairly quiet and i can play battle field 4 on medium for about 40+ fps :)... definitely recommend this laptop it is highly underrated... and keep in mind that i game a minimum of 4 hrs a day with games like cod ghosts on high setting without vsync of for about 55fps fps... gpu and cpu ever exceeded 76c . i kept tabs with hwmoniter .. cheers m8

papare1234

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
well ,i bought G510 and its not getting any overheating problems but it get little worm when your are browsing internet. there is on fan noise at all but fan speed increase when you browning net. you may feel little unconformable when you are handling it with the weight.

rannon

Estimable
May 24, 2014

that is completely normal as this laptop has a "silent fan Technology" which turns on the fan at 50c
until it cooled down to 36c and slowly ramps up gradually to 90c when then only does it run at 100% to desperately cool the laptop down.

rannon

Estimable
May 24, 2014
Update: it has been about a year and the warranty has also finished. i took the back panel off for maintenance, and was surprise at how easy it is to replace the thermal compound and clean the dust. since i game quite a bit and do live in dubai.. i clean my laptop every year from dust and every 2 years i replace the thermal compound (AS5) .. when i pulled apart my fan i observed the heatsink and it was over 50% blocked...but while i was using to computer for gaming and monitoring temps.. they never exceeded 85c .. so the cooling solution inside this laptop is very efficient to the the least. i clean both the fan and the heatsink and proceeded to replace the thermal compound as.. although was still very effective. was not as efficient as arctic silver 5.. after this maintenance/upgrade. i managed to overclock my gpu just above 20% .. (cpu i7-4700mq, 8gigs of 1600mhz memory, 1366x768 glossy TN panel)
my gpu is a r7 m265 2gb ddr3 .. (renamed hd 8750m) before thermal paste replacement with out the overclock my gpu reached a maximum of 78c during a 4hr game of bf4. after the overclock and thermal replacement .. it never surpasses 72c. cpu on the other hand was also an improvement . before the thermal upgrade the cpu ran at around 86c during gaming (bf4) after the upgrade im pegged at 78c ... but b mindful that these are very intensive games. if i played a more casual game like league of legends or team fortress 2 .. cpu maxes out at 70c (before 75c) and gpu with OC at 65c (before 72c)... the only way i actually managed to overheat the laptop is with furmark + prime 95 which in this instance resulted in a cpu temp of 100c in about 10min and gpu maxed out at 85c .. (the cpu and gpu are connected to the same heatsink.. so when i overclocked my gpu my average cpu temp also increased a little bit but as you can see barely) but this is a very unrealistic load you can definitely expect this not to happen. but if you where to individually load the cpu or gpu they never experience any throttling what so ever. (in the sense of video editing or photoshop ) but even then the load % for both these where 100%.. when i ran furmark stressing my gpu completely while holding my cpu at a 90% load ... the gpu maxed out at 83c and the cpu maxed out at 88c ... still way under the danger limit......so to summarize this reply completely , the laptop indeed has a very effective cooling system that can handle both components under load in most cases.
if you never played games and only use this laptop for wed browsing and school .. then overheating will not become a likely issue for at-least 2 years (provided you live in a dusty country like me) but if your a casual gamer then expect to get your laptop cleaned at least every year or every six months if you live in a dusty environment.. but it you game excessively like me and live in a dusty environment , then i recommend a dusting every 60-90 days. oh and all this testing was done is a ambient temp of 30c.. you you lived in a much cooler climate such as Europe or Canada, with a ambient of 22-24c , then expect temp to be proportionally cooler.. and if you live in Britain and its winter, where the ambient can ball below 0, well even under max load for both components, you max temps will likely stay in the 80s.. hope this helps everyone... (PS:- all this extensive research was done just for you g510 owners.. AND if you have a i5 , take everything you say about temps and minus about 15-20c depending on you ambient temperature) cheers everyone, and i hope this help all of yourll and a reply on what you guys think is greatly appreciated :) .

TRENDING THREADS