Overheating laptop (95 degrees)

ScottWoolven

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I also an Acer Aspire v3-571G with Intel i5-3210M processor and a Nvidia Geforce graphics card. I have had this laptop for around a year now and it has been through a few rough times (firstly spilled a curry on the keyboard which I then had to replace, then not learning from my mistakes I spilled some gravy which made the laptop turn off instantly. I took it to a PC shop and they managed to repair it to working order again. Not sure if these actually cause the over heating, as I think its always been this way). When playing any game, the laptop gets VERY hot, around the 95-100 degrees mark. I'm using a program called Speccy and that says my CPU and graphics average at around 95 degrees whilst playing a game. I usually use the fairly low settings (below medium) as it lags pretty bad otherwise even though most games suggest using above medium graphics quality. Using the Turbo Boost Monitor from Intel, when the temperature gets above about 80 degrees, I don't get the benefits of Turbo Boost and it seems to be limited to 2.5Ghz without reaching the 3.1Ghz with turbo boost.
Any ideas for how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance..

InvalidError

Distinguished
If you have never cleaned the heatsinks and fans inside, they may be packed with dust - my sister's laptop was overheating a while ago and when I pulled it apart, I pulled a solid block of lint out from the space between the fan and heatsink. Temperature dropped from ~90C to ~70C.

Then again, the i3-3210M is less than two years old so unless your environment is particularly dusty, your laptop should not get in as bad a shape as my sister's in such a short time.