Overheating Problem on laptop

PyroRaider

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
Hello everyone.
My laptop has had a bad case of the heat for a few months, which also affected my games:
i constatly drops and gain fps (10 second 60- 5 second 30-25) over and over.
so i decided to open my laptop and i found alot of dust, but since i dont have an air duster, i couldnt clean out the fans.
Should i go out and buy one or will it not matter?
by the way my temps reach 93 degrees while gaming (gpu and cpu)

Solution
Hand and cloth sounds a lot safer than a vacuum cleaner, which is what I originally used. Even then I got away with it for years, until an old P4 system. When I held the wand up to the PSU, the fan spun so fast it made a noise like an electric car peeling out. It didn't die, but it never stopped making that noise. Drove me insane, especially knowing it was entirely my fault.

KahouAoki

Estimable
Aug 17, 2015
Of course it matters. If you don't want to spend money though, you could also just make a paper funnel and attach it to a hair dryer. While you're at it, you should also replace the thermal interface materials wherever you can. Remember to do all the dusting outside.

TMTOWTSAC

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Take a few precautions when you clean the fans, especially if using canned air. It could spin them fast enough to cause damage. I like using a wooden toothpick since it's non-conductive, and a bicycle pump (without the metal needle) to blow air. I've also used air pumps that came with an inflatable mattress, and one of those fitness balls. In a pinch, you could always make an air bladder with a ziploc bag. Cut off one corner and stick a straw or paper funnel through and tape it in place. Then inflate bag and squeeze it to blow air.

godparticle080

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017

Wasn't careful as you. I cleaned dust of my laptop fan by hand and cloth!

TMTOWTSAC

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Hand and cloth sounds a lot safer than a vacuum cleaner, which is what I originally used. Even then I got away with it for years, until an old P4 system. When I held the wand up to the PSU, the fan spun so fast it made a noise like an electric car peeling out. It didn't die, but it never stopped making that noise. Drove me insane, especially knowing it was entirely my fault.

Solution