Overheating Problem with Laptop, Even after opening up and cleaning

MxADeath

Estimable
Jun 16, 2015
Hi all, so i'm all out of options on what to do with my laptop which is a Hp Pavilion dv6-1359wm and its over heating issues which is very weird. I can do normal stuff like surf the web and watch videos and stream movies but when I play games such as League of Legends or Hearthstone, my pc decides to shut off about 2 minutes into running those very low intensive games, This started 2 days ago and I've tried everything from cleaning the vents with compressed air to actually opening up the laptop and cleaning the heatsink, fan, and applying new thermal paste 3 separate times with no dice. As for the compound I use, it is the Arctic Silver 5 (not the best I know but it is all I had at the time). Also CPU idles at about 40 C and under load at 60 C.
PC specs are what follows:

PROCESSOR / CHIPSET
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 / 2.2 GHz
Number of Cores Dual-Core
Cache L2 - 2 MB
64-bit Computing Yes

STORAGE
Interface Serial ATA-300
Optical Drive DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
RAM
Configuration Features 2 x 2 GB

MEMORY
Max Supported Size 8 GB
Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Form Factor SO-DIMM 204-pin

DISPLAY
LCD Backlight Technology LED backlight
Widescreen Display Yes
Monitor Features HD BrightView

HARD DRIVE
Spindle Speed 7200 rpm

AUDIO & VIDEO
Graphics Processor Intel GMA 4500MHD
Total Available Graphics Memory 1695 MB
Integrated Webcam Yes
Sound Altec Lansing speakers , microphone

INPUT
Type keyboard, touchpad
Features built-in numeric keyboard

COMMUNICATIONS
Wireless Protocol 802.11n
Wired Protocol 10/100 Ethernet

OPTICAL STORAGE
Disc Labeling Technology LightScribe Technology

CARD READER
Type 5 in 1 card reader

BATTERY
Cells 6-cell
Technology lithium ion

AC ADAPTER
Input AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
Output 65 Watt

CONNECTIONS & EXPANSION
Slots 1 x ExpressCard/54 ( 1 free )
Interfaces 3 x USB 2.0
USB 2.0/eSATA
2 x headphone output
Microphone input
HDMI
VGA
Modem
LAN
Dock
Infrared
Memory Card Reader 5 in 1 ( SD Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, xD-Picture Card )

NETWORKING
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
MONITOR
Diagonal Size 15.6 in

DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT
Width 14.9 in
Depth 10.1 in
Height 1.6 in

AUDIO OUTPUT
Compliant Standards SRS Premium Sound
ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARDS
EPEAT Level EPEAT Silver
ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Weight 6.35 lbs

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstall the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Intel Graphics driver.
- Check Programs and Features as well if there's anything related to Intel graphics,
- Download and install the latest graphics driver from Intel's Support site.
- Next is to set Intel's Power Management to High Performance.
- Once done with all these, please do try it again.
- If all these will not work, I would suggest using a cooling dock that would help cooling it down.

himynameisraz

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
Wait..under load your CPU goes to 60C and it shuts down when you play LoL or HS for 2 mins? That doesn't seem like overheating...but I guess it depends on what your BIOS is set to default shut down when the cpu reaches a certain temperature. Does your laptop get really hot to the touch when you play these games? When you cleaned the thermal paste, I assume you also cleaned it completely off the cpu, gpu, and heatsink plates? I would get a program to stress test your CPU (just google it). See if your computer shuts down while it does that. If so, I would suggest you take a close look at your PSU. Sounds like something is burned on your motherboard, or your PSU just needs to be replaced.

MxADeath

Estimable
Jun 16, 2015
Yes I cleaned all the thermal paste off and stress tested the cpu which it went about to 65 degrees Celsius during the stress test without shutting off 5 times. However. when i try to go to play any sort of game like LoL or HS my comp just shuts off, im gonna get a new computer at this point anyways but im curious as to what happened.

himynameisraz

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
Have you checked what the temperature gets to while you're playing the game right before it shuts down? You can get some programs to display temp on screen even with the game in fullscreen mode. Not sure if that's what you meant by 'under load' in your original post.

himynameisraz

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
Ya that shouldn't cause your laptop to shut down, unless, as I mentioned your BIOS for some reason has it set to shutdown when it reaches that..which is not the case since you got to the same temp while running stress tests. The only other thing that would cause your laptop to shut down randomly would be faulty ram.