Overheating "tab/backspace" issue

Kristina Church

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I have an ASUS M70vm laptop. It overheats like none other now. It's no longer under warranty. When you start it up, when it loads into windows, it goes into an infinidy "tab" mode between 3 accounts, password and swipe finger (finger print scanner that hates me). Only way to get it out of this is to close the lid and reopen it. And then repeat it when it loads as it will go into a constant "delete" mode as the first object it finds it will want to delete it until you close and reopen it.

When it overheats it goes into another infinity "tab" mode. Before you could close the lid, wait for it to beep that it sees you've closed the lid, reopen it and it will be ready for action. Another way to show that if it doesn't tab mode, is it will go into an infinity "backspace" mode when you put the cursor to the URL in an explorer, or try and write something in windows, i.e. notepad, it will start to backspace anything written.

I have a USB slot tapped over with an piece of electric tape as it got bent when i hit a guy with my keyboard attached to it... (he deserved it)... if i attempt to put anything into it, it will automatically turn my system off. From not having this USB slot, I lost the use of having my camera work. (not a big deal). I am also missing my F and tab Key on my laptop.

My laptop is my life. I don't use a desktop. I typically have 1 USB external HD, 1 USB wireless keyboard receiver, 1 USB mouse wireless receiver and 1 eSata HD. It rarely overheated as bad as it does now with only a mouse connected to it. It was attached via VGA to a desktop monitor for a long time, then it started to overheat galore when I started to use my TV as a screen.

laptop isn't under warranty and running windows vista home premium 32bit. 4 gigs of memory, duo core @ 2.26GH.

Any help would be appreciated! I have searched for an answer for a long time to help fix this issue and always come up empty.

Kristina

Kristina Church

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
it's hard to let it go, when it comes on more often than not.... don't have money for a new one and this does more than i need (which isn't much). If i could get out of the tabbing/backspace issue easily, i'd overlook it... but when it comes on @ start up, that is what really bothers me the most, as i have to disconnect it from the tv to get it to see i close the lid and reopened it. i bought this specially for the esata which is rare on laptops as people tend to prefer USB... my esata has NEVER let me down ever...

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to let an old friend go.
For the software issues, maybe just a reinstall of the OS would do it.
Save all your critical info elsewhere, and see if the Recovery partition is still available, to bring it back to factory installed condition.
For the hardware issues...that would almost certainly cost more than a new low end laptop.

Kristina Church

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
recovery doesn't work... most critical stuff is on my exteranl HD's, so nothing really to loose their. But with a budget of $0 as i'm not working, i can't spend any money on it. If I could just solve the over heating issue if that deals with the backspace/tab issue i'd do that... this laptop is my only way on the internet

USAFRet

Illustrious

Clean out the 5 years of dust buildup.