Question OWC Envoy Pro always "resets" (turns on and off) when I try to put data on the drive. Is there a way to fix this issue?

iKokomo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
I have an OWC Envoy Pro for Apple SSDs that worked perfectly until recently everytime I try to put data on the drive (after a few seconds of putting the data on) the drive would "disconnect" and "reconnect."

I have tried formatting the drive in NTFS, APFS, FAT, and Mac OS Extended with at least a 2 pass format. I also ran the built-in mac first-aid. This lengthy process did not cause the drive to reset as putting data onto the drive did.

I also physically removed the drive and reseated it in the enclosure.

I was wondering if the drive is dead, or if I need to do some deeper-level formatting in order to get this thing up and running again?

Thanks!

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
OWC Envoy Pro for Apple SSDs

It appears that is an enclosure for Apple's proprietary SATA SSDs. If you have a Windows PC, connect it to the Windows machine and run CrystalDiskInfo and post a screenshot of the program here.

I was wondering if the drive is dead, or if I need to do some deeper-level formatting in order to get this thing up and running again?

Your enclosure may also be faulty or overheating. Have you tried another enclosure? I've never had good results with unpowered enclosures, often a single USB port does not provide enough power for a drive, even an SSD.